will built for vista graphics cards run on xp?

nononsense

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I am advised that my graphics card is probably toast due to no output to my screen. The pc is my sons and I would like to upgrade as long as I am at it.

The box is a Dell Dimension 9150 running Windows XP media center edition with a 6 series nvidia geforce graphics card.

I am looking at nvidia 8600 or better cards but they seem to all come with a tag that the card is built for windows vista. Will these cards also run on xp or do I need to go with a lower level upgrade?

TIA

The 8600 GT requires a PCIE expansion slot and will operate just fine with any Microsoft OS. The operating system is not the determining factor as to the compatibility of the video card on your system. With a Vista OS the 8600 GT is capable of Direct X 10 3D rendering. With all XP Operating system versions Direct X 9.0c is the limit. An 8600GT will work fine. Media Center has no bearing as to it's compatibility other than mentioned.

Download the latest Microsoft Direct X for your PC here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&DisplayLang=en