I think I might have just fried my board?

paulnwgb

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hi

I just went to switch my machine on, and I got a zap from the power switch - it's very dry here, static buildup on me I guess :(

Now, my machine will not boot.

The power switch on the case simply won't work at all and I've now disconnected it from the board. I've tried hitting the power switch directly on the motherboard - but still no go. I've also tried shorting the pwr pins.

When I use the PSU power switch, the system begins to start (which I don't think it used to), the motherboard lights up, the CPU fan spins up, 1-2 seconds later, it shuts down though the motherboard lights remain on as normal. I've tried clearing the CMOS to no effect.

The blue LCD display at the back of the board (this is an Asus Striker Extreme) is also corrupt I think - When I flip the PSU switch as above, characters I can't make out appear, then the display flashes 4 times, that is when the shutdown happens. But to be honest, I've never looked at that display before now, so I've got no idea what it should say :)

Any ideas? Or should I just resign myself to buying a new board?

Thanks

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
you sure you didnt just trip the kill switch on ur power strip? lol, i'm not trying to be a jerk, i've traveled 2 hours to someones house who claimed the thing was happening to them, it turns out the power brick was disabled...

paulnwgb

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Right, it's dead, no doubt about it.

Thanks o1die - I'd pretty much tried that.

Jonpaul - I doubt it'd light up and spin fans without power :)