Sign in with
Your question

Help! I have FOHDF Syndrome!! (fear of hard drive failure)

Last response: in Storage
April 24, 2010 6:18:54 AM

I'm building my first ever computer for gaming, video editing and music recording. Here is the build so far, 'cept for the hard drives, which I need help with!!

ANTEC 1200, ASUS P6X58D INTEL MOBO, INTEL CORE i7-930 2.8GHz QUAD-CORE PROCESSOR, CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) MEMORY, ANTEC CP-850 POWER SUPPLY, COOLER MASTER V8 CPU COOLER, ASUS BLU-RAY DRIVE, ASUS 24X DVD WRITER, ASUS RADEON HD 5850 VIDEO CARD, DUAL HD MONITORS, RAZER LYCOSA KEYS, RAZER DEATH ADDER, WINDOWS 7

I'm so confused about what to do about hard drives. I've read the reviews for almost every hard drive out there and it scares me because I can't find any one that is excellent! It seems every other post says that the drive stopped working after a day or a week and they get refurbs from the manufacturer which most of the time don't work either. Then some say they love the drives. I don't know what to get! I have a $2000 budget for hardware and Windows 7 and I've just about reached that with what I've selected for the system so far. I only have about $200-$300 left for harddrives. I'm hoping for a two drive system, non-raid, I'll just back up to an external drive I already have, with the o/s on a smaller drive 50-80GB? and games, videos, music, etc., on a secondary larger drive 1T?

My Toshiba laptop's hard disk failed 3 months ago and I replaced it with a 500GB Toshiba drive - it crashed right after 30 days. I replaced it with the same kind of hard drive and that one died right after the 30 days. Once again I bought the same drive and it died after one week. Luckily I bought the Fry's $20 warranty for a one time replacement each time which ended costing me $40 on top of the $90 price. I gave up on my laptop and i'm getting the money back for the drive this time and putting it towards my new computer, when I get more money, trying a different harddrive for my laptop.

What is wrong with hard drive manufacturers? Don't they care about their products? Why are there sooooo many hard drives that fail??? How can they sell stuff that doesn't work? I don't want to the suffer the same bad luck as some other people who get dead drives and return them to the manufacturer and after a couple of weeks without a computer they receive a refurbished replacement which dies within a day and they do it over and over and over again. They lose money in shipping and time without a computer. What's wrong with that picture?

I've considered a solid state drive for the o/s but they are so expensive. Can someone give me some advice? I'm just about to order all the stuff to build my computer but I can't commit to storage because of FOHDF Syndrome = FEAR OF HARD DRIVE FAILURE! :ouch: 

Thank you!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 24, 2010 6:56:19 AM

I think you've been monumentally unlucky (unless you've been using your laptop to hammer in nails !)

All my hardware is secondhand, often found dumped -- or donated by a local business at the end of its useful life with them.

Sure, of those with hard drives left inside, a few arrive dead.

But I've only twice had a hard drive fail in use since I started using computers in 1985.

Hard drives are (as Mean Time Between Failure ratings suggest) something like 10 times less likely to fail than a CD Writer.

In fact, from my wide experience of finding and buying secondhand stuff, the items most likely to have failed are the graphics card or power supply.
a c 415 G Storage
April 24, 2010 4:24:26 PM

^ +1

I've actually never had a hard drive failure in over 25 years of home computer use (I've had them at work, but that's talking about many hundreds of hard drives...)

I've been using 1TB WD Green drives for a year now and not had any problem with them. I've now got four of them and just recently also bought two 2TB Green drives - all are working just fine.

People are a lot more likely to comment on problems than on successes, so I think you're just getting a skewed version of reality.
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 25, 2010 3:40:23 AM

^Agreed! And if you have a fear of data loss...just get Mozy Back-up its very cheap.

And if you want reliable hard disks, buy a pair of real Fibre Channel Drives and raid them.
April 25, 2010 3:50:07 AM

Thanks for your comments guys. I will take all your suggestions into consideration. I have to bite the bullet and face my fears. lol. Thanks again. BTW - tomshardware.com rocks! two weeks ago I didn't know the first thing about building a computer, but after reading the forums and researching hour after hour and waking up at 3am to find the answer to a question i was dreaming about (ever done that? lol), I feel confident i can build my own awesome computer. I'm thankful to all the folks who have made it possible for newbies like me to be able to learn from their experience. And I'm thankful for the replies I got to my question. :)  no more FOHDF! lol.
a b G Storage
April 25, 2010 1:27:31 PM

^Your Welcome

BTW wouldn't your FOHDF be more of a phobia rather than a syndrome?

I'd be better to name it POHDF (Phobia.of.hard.disk.failure)
April 25, 2010 2:19:11 PM

Good point Blackhawk! Funny stuff! I will beat this POHDF for sure! Thanks again!!!
!