Sign in with
Your question

Choosing a GPU for my PC

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2008 11:29:00 AM

Hi guys... I've got an old mobo without a video card and i need help deciding what should I buy.

Here's my specs:

450 W Dynamo PSU
Foxconn Winfast 761GXK8MC-RS Motherboard
AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.8 GHz [Socket 754]
1.5 GB RAM

I don't have a video card installed and the computer is only using 32 MB memory [But stated as 64 MB]. I just wanted to play games like: C&C Generals, Need for Speed Underground 2 & Most Wanted. They fit most of my system requirements expect for the video.

I'm able to play these games but not in the satisfactory level - low graphic quality, low resolution etc.

thanks in advance!ü

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Edit:
I have a socket 754 CPU, and its hard finding a new one.
I don't know anything about bottlenecking concerning CPU, GPU and stuffs related to bottlenecking.

More about : choosing gpu

December 11, 2008 11:42:00 AM

sempron will likely bottleneck any card you buy today so i also recommend new cpu than gfx card alone.
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2008 12:08:15 PM

There was a similar thread 1-2 days ago. Your system has an AGP port right (compared to current PCI-E)?

If so, the "best upgrade" would probably be something like an X1650Pro (~50$), anything over would probably be bottlenecked by the CPU.

As was it was mentioned in the other thread, you should consider changing the whole system. as you could have one 2-3 times better for 300-500$ reusing some of your current parts.
Related resources
December 11, 2008 12:14:57 PM

Mikko, your CPU is definetly going to be a bottleneck and XWIZ has stated.

Also I noticed your motherboard has 2 slots for memory, and since you currently have 1.5 gigs in your system, means your not getting the benefit of Double Data Rate memory. You have to install your memory in matched pairs to have it operate in DDR. If you could replace the 512mb stick with a 1GB stick like you have now you would double your throughput and that would really help your memory performance.

On a good note your motherboard has a PCI-e x 16 slot for graphics so you could pick up an inexpensive graphics card and really boost your performance in that area. I recommend something like a 9500gt www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681416201...

This card will be more than enought for Need 4 Speed and C&C Generals
December 11, 2008 12:17:43 PM

With research and study of the pc, I found that I have a PCI-E x16 slot and most of the v.cards around can fit to it but i just don't know what kind of v.card, the memory, the speed etc.
December 11, 2008 12:23:05 PM

thanks merlin. I'm also considering having the 512 MB replaced by a 1 GB RAM. [I'm still saving for it, I'm still studying in college. ü]

i don't know anything about bottlenecking, but what happens with it?ü
December 11, 2008 12:27:19 PM

Follow Up:

Do i need to be concerned about a GPU having a DDR2 memory while my system have only a DDR memory?ü
December 11, 2008 12:28:30 PM

Bottlenecking is when one of your components cant keep up with another component.

So your slow CPU might cause a new video card to not realize its full potential.

You could also upgrade your CPU for pretty cheap to something like this.
www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80...

But try out a new videocard first and see if that meets your needs before investing too much in your aging computer.
December 11, 2008 12:30:43 PM

No mikko your video cards memory and system memory do not have to be the same. That will not pose a problem for you.

For example my system uses DDR2 system memory and my video card has DDR3 memory.
December 11, 2008 12:42:06 PM

I found some differences between v.cards that i found. some were only 128 bit and the others are 256 bit. what does that mean?ü
!