Sign in with
Your question

NEW PC! Seeking advice and some wisdom

Last response: in Components
February 11, 2009 11:08:08 AM

First of all hello!

I'm kinda new to this border and am seeking advice about the well known question, which PSU to pick?

Currently I'm looking through tons of web stores etc to find the hardware after the principles of "best bang for the bucket" without going on compromise with performace (naerly) and so far I've decided to get following:

CPU:
Intel i7 920 (Stock: 2.66GHZ gonna see if I can use my non existing OC'ing skills to get it up around the 3.2-3.4GHZ but with a little advice and some nice guids it will work out.)

Motherboard:
Asus X58 P6T Deluxe

RAM:
3 x 2GB DDR3-PC12800 1600MHZ Corsair Dominator

Harddisk:
1 TB Samsung F1 Spinpoint

GFX:
295 GTX (Not decided what producer and doesn't really matter unless there are advantages)

Cooling:
Well... Good question. I'd like watercooling for my CPU since I really like a silent computer (much as possible). I would appreciate any recomendation.

Drive:
Might add an BlueRay drive later since they aren't that expensive anymore (at least the readers aren't).

I've been on the different PSU producer homepages where you can a PSU tjeck by filling out a scheme and it tells you how much your system might use. It ended up from 723 to 840w. Honestly I have no idea if i did everything wrong so I hope that someone on this hardware mekka could help me figuring out whats the best for this setup.
Ohh and if anyone has any other advice in cooling or some better alternatives on hardware your more then welcome to comment.

Appreciated :) 

Yours sincerely
Phoenix

More about : seeking advice wisdom

a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2009 1:53:24 PM

Using just one video card? Checkout the pc power and cooling silencer 610w model for $89.99 before rebate at newegg.com. It has a single 12v rail rated at a high 49 amps.
February 11, 2009 2:30:29 PM

o1die said:
Using just one video card? Checkout the pc power and cooling silencer 610w model for $89.99 before rebate at newegg.com. It has a single 12v rail rated at a high 49 amps.

Well yeah just a single 295GTX. You sure that 610w would do it? Read something that 620w was cutting it close. Was wondering if I should get a 750w just to be sure or is that overkill?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 11, 2009 4:12:28 PM

Corsair TX650.
February 11, 2009 7:33:30 PM

theAnimal said:
Corsair TX650.

Alright, I'll go for that then. As long as it leaves me enough power to tweak a bit and maybe add some more stuff later on. Any suggestion on a decent watercooler for the CPU?
February 11, 2009 7:46:08 PM

Decent H20...?

U willing to spend $300+??
February 11, 2009 10:40:20 PM

610w is enough im running 2 gtx260 oc sli with 500w.
=]
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 12, 2009 1:07:39 AM

I've read enough threads about psu' to know that a majority of people overestimate their power requirements. It happens all the time here.

Here's a link to a recent THG article with useful info about video card power requirements:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-powe...

Go to the page with the charts showing actual power requirements for graphics cards and take a look at your card. I think you'll be in for a surprise.
February 12, 2009 10:13:39 AM

Quote:
Decent H20...?

U willing to spend $300+??

Not $300 really. I guess you can get cheaper aircoolers which performs on par with the watercooling systems. So I'll stick to that. Gonna invest in a CoolMaster Cosmos S case also for optimal airflow and low noise.

JohnnyLucky said:
I've read enough threads about psu' to know that a majority of people overestimate their power requirements. It happens all the time here.

Here's a link to a recent THG article with useful info about video card power requirements:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-powe...

Go to the page with the charts showing actual power requirements for graphics cards and take a look at your card. I think you'll be in for a surprise.

Yeah your right about that but better be safe then sorry. :-)..

The 295TX doesn't figurate on the charts since it's a titch newer I guess. But well just read the $5000 Extreme PC with i7 965, 2 x 295GTX and so on. Only being 776w on FULL LOAD and OC'ed.

Soh I guess that I'll be fine with the Corsair TX650.

!