Intel-Based PC Build Under 500

schrollbach

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Hello All it's me again,

I know recently I asked for a <$500 AMD Based build and I liked it but I wonder If its possible to get a decent Intel based build for cheaper. Really the only things I want to know right now are a decent Mobo and decent CPU. I'm new to Intel (rofl) and I have no idea what I'm looking at with the different CPUs. I'm looking for a cheap CPU and Mobo that would be able to Run games like Crysis at at least the medium range (or at most). As for video cards, the 9800GT seems to be getting cheap now and I've seen them as 100 bucks at Tigerdirect. I was looking at the Q8200 CPU and not sure if it's good or not.

So a short list:

Q8200 (good at all?)
Some Mobo - no idea what is good for a decent price
Most likely a 9800GT

Reason I'm looking at Intel now is that its getting annoying having to look for a special mobo that actually uses Phenom to its full potention (that whole SB750 or w/e - which I have no idea where to look for at...

Or is it still cheaper to make an AMD PC build? I just remember reading something about AMD being the best for performance per dollar. I think the best way to reduce the price right now for both builds is to buy a cheaper video card like the 9800GT but I don't know if I'd lose more performance with a nVidia card on an AMD/ATI board.

schrollbach

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Err, should elaborate that I don't need a case, power supply, optical drive, or a hard drive :D

So I manage to be able to spend a bit more on the CPU, mobo, RAM, and GPU

kurtyboh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008

schrollbach

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I really just need to upgrade my cpu, mobo, ram, and GPU and that is all :D

I'm trying to stay away from the 4850 because it is more expensive than the 9800GT, but if the 4850 turns out to be a card like the 7950GT then I'll lay down the extra cash.

(Just FYI the 7950GT was even better than the 8800GTX when the 8 series first came out :D from what I remember)