TS2--weird graphics problem

After getting Sims 2 Special DVD edition for Christmas, I installed it and
found play to be sluggish. Then I discovered that my video card (a
ProSavage DDR) was inadequate and so I replaced it with the ATI Radeon 9200.
This speeded up play considerably and made everything run better. Then a
day or so later I discovered that as I'm playing the game a weird thing
happens with the graphics. My Sims characters begin to flash into a series
of horizontal lines so that I can see their basic outline, but I can also
see through them, sort as if they were semi-invisible. After a while the
lines spread to objects that they are dealing with, like the bed if one of
them is lying down. This problem gets worse the longer I play. It seems to
happen anytime there is a sound effect, though I'm not sure that's the
reason it's happening or just coincidental.

I updated my drivers when I installed the new video card, and I've tried
uninstalling (while saving the games I had already played) and then
reinstalling the game, but that didn't seem to help. I have also downloaded
a few package files from the internet for the game, though most of them
didn't pertain to my Sims bodies. So given all that, does anyone have any
suggestions for why I'm having this graphics problem and what I can do about
it?

"Lane Wright" <lwright8051@comcast.net> wrote in message
> After getting Sims 2 Special DVD edition for Christmas, I installed it and
> found play to be sluggish. Then I discovered that my video card (a
> ProSavage DDR) was inadequate and so I replaced it with the ATI Radeon
> 9200. This speeded up play considerably and made everything run better.
> Then a day or so later I discovered that as I'm playing the game a weird
> thing happens with the graphics. My Sims characters begin to flash into a
> series of horizontal lines so that I can see their basic outline, but I
> can also see through them, sort as if they were semi-invisible. After a
> while the lines spread to objects that they are dealing with, like the bed
> if one of them is lying down. This problem gets worse the longer I play.
> It seems to happen anytime there is a sound effect, though I'm not sure
> that's the reason it's happening or just coincidental.
>
> I updated my drivers when I installed the new video card, and I've tried
> uninstalling (while saving the games I had already played) and then
> reinstalling the game, but that didn't seem to help. I have also
> downloaded a few package files from the internet for the game, though most
> of them didn't pertain to my Sims bodies. So given all that, does anyone
> have any suggestions for why I'm having this graphics problem and what I
> can do about it?

You could try the ATI Radeon 9200 game support pages. They don't mention
The Sims games but something there might be relevant to your problem.
(Check the miscellaneous section at the bottom as well). .
http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon9200/radeon9200issuesgames.html

You could try contacting them. Customer care via this page
http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9200/radeon9200/specs.html

Did you remove the old video driver from the system before putting in the
new card? Does your monitor support the screen resolution etc.

I've got the 9600 and it works well on my system.

There are some answers via the Help tab on the official Sims2 pages that
might help.

Skeatsan''co

I also have the 9600 with no problems.

MM

"Skeatsan''co" <overthemoon@overthemoonagain.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Lane Wright" <lwright8051@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > After getting Sims 2 Special DVD edition for Christmas, I installed it
and
> > found play to be sluggish. Then I discovered that my video card (a
> > ProSavage DDR) was inadequate and so I replaced it with the ATI Radeon
> > 9200. This speeded up play considerably and made everything run better.
> > Then a day or so later I discovered that as I'm playing the game a weird
> > thing happens with the graphics. My Sims characters begin to flash into
> > series of horizontal lines so that I can see their basic outline, but I
> > can also see through them, sort as if they were semi-invisible. After a
> > while the lines spread to objects that they are dealing with, like the
bed
> > if one of them is lying down. This problem gets worse the longer I
play.
> > It seems to happen anytime there is a sound effect, though I'm not sure
> > that's the reason it's happening or just coincidental.
> >
> > I updated my drivers when I installed the new video card, and I've tried
> > uninstalling (while saving the games I had already played) and then
> > reinstalling the game, but that didn't seem to help. I have also
> > downloaded a few package files from the internet for the game, though
most
> > of them didn't pertain to my Sims bodies. So given all that, does
anyone
> > have any suggestions for why I'm having this graphics problem and what I
> > can do about it?
>
> You could try the ATI Radeon 9200 game support pages. They don't mention
> The Sims games but something there might be relevant to your problem.
> (Check the miscellaneous section at the bottom as well). .

http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon9200/radeon9200issuesgames.html

> You could try contacting them. Customer care via this page
> http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9200/radeon9200/specs.html
>
> Did you remove the old video driver from the system before putting in the
> new card? Does your monitor support the screen resolution etc.
>
> I've got the 9600 and it works well on my system.
>
> There are some answers via the Help tab on the official Sims2 pages that
> might help.
>
> Skeatsan''co

Paul

Splendid

Hi All!

I had this problem too. I fixed this problem by increasing the refresh rate
somewhere in the monitor settings. Sorry I can't remember exactly where that
was right now.

Best Regards.

Paul.