Nvidia 8800 GTS Driver Question (laptop)

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I have an HP laptop with an Nvidia 8800 GTS GPU. It really doesn't give me any problems, but I would like to update my drivers... and that's where it gets tricky. HP is still at version 1.0 for my drivers. I just feel like some performance is being lost due to the older drivers that are being used. I'm not entirely sure what Nvidia version these drivers match up with, but they're a year old at this point so they're obviously not the newest. So here's my question...

Is there a safe way to upgrade a laptops video drivers if you don't use the manufacturer's drivers? I'm not even sure that the regular Nvidia drivers will work. Their site says that it's up to the manufacturer to provide updated drivers... and in this regard HP is failing MISERABLY.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

agmk135

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
It doesn't specifically mention that step, but I am assuming that you would uninstall the older driver first just as you would when doing an upgrade of drivers for a desktop GPU.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I would uninstall old drivers first. Often, it will do it for you, but you don't want to have two sets of drivers on there at the same time.