help with e6750 @ 3.4ghz - 1.42v

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
i have a p35-ds3l and i am OC'ing my e6750. i upped the fsb voltage by .1 (don't know if i need to?), and i have my vcore at 1.42v, which is a lot more than a lot of people claim they need to hit that speed.

i have only run prime95 for about 30 minutes, but at 1.4 it was failing almost instantaneously. i may can get it down to 1.41ish.

it is idling at 42c and max temp is 58c under prime95 (arctic freezer pro cooler). is this really my only concern (heat) when upping the voltage, or is there something else i should be concerned with? if it's just heat, then i am fine i think. 40-45c should be okay for idle, and it's not getting above 60c.

i have the ram at 1.9, but i'm wondering if i lowered the vcore can i up the ram .1 more, or are those two things completely independent of each other? i tried 1.4 and then .1 on the NB (i have a fan on it), and .2 fsb, but that didn't do anything. i don't really know which voltages i should be messing with and which ones i shouldn't tbh. any help is appreciated.

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
also what is weird is that i could do 3.2 at 1.35 vcore (without changing it at all). i have it now at 3.33ghz at 1.39 vcore. what is the deal...why does it have to get so much more power to get just a little stronger?

also is there a way to change my ram timing settings? it is g.skill rated at 800mhz 5-5-5-15 but doing 835mhz at 5-6-6-16. i would like it to be 5-5-5-15 if it can.

any help is appreciated...

Ummmm golden rule: no two cpu's are the same - some people get great samples (no over volting required), some are pathetic and wont OC far at all - DO NOT EXPECT THE SAME AS OTHERS WHEN OVERCLOCKING

Set your ram to 1:1 ratio, ram 1.9v for DDR2, cpu vcore 1.45 tops (i need 1.45 on my Q6600 *thats QUAD, not dual* to get 3.5ghz) and see how it goes again.

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

thanks. i think my biggest question is: does the vcore being high hurt anything if temps are okay? i have mine at 3.4 and 1.43 vcore, but in p95 doing testing, it doesn't go above 62c. the idle is around 38c. so i think temps are fine for the card. if temp is all you need to worry about when upping the vcore, i'd say i'm in a good place. i just need confirmation if a high vcore is problematic for another reason besides heat...?

upping the fsb...does this change how much i have to up vcore, or no matter what i do to the other voltages, the vcore will always have to be the same to achieve stability?

last question: can i change the RAM timings? i have it set to 1:1. NB and RAM are sooo cool during OC. i could leave my hand on them all day, no heat whatsoever to be honest. i'd just prefer 5-5-5-15 instead of 5-6-6-16...not sure why it went to the latter option when i went above 400fsb.

i read that guide jsc, in fact, have it printed out beside me. guided me through everything--i just need a few more questions answered. thanks for all the help.

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
According to Intel the maximum safe voltage for the E6750 is 1.5V.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA9V

Keep in mind this is safe voltage, so you could possibly push it even further, although that would probably lead to long-term life degradation and is generally not recommended.

Don't take my final word for it though, it's just what I have gathered on these boards and I have no personal experience with upping voltage too high.

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
thanks, but if temps are controlled, is there anything wrong with a high vcore?

i have 3.4 @ 1.45 vcore now, highest temp hit was 62c in hwmonitor under prime95. it has gone about 5 hours now. i will let it run about 6-7 before i say it is good to go. i would never play a game for 6 hours straight so i think if it doesn't break in 6 hours on p95, it is pretty stable. weird thing is that cpu-z shows 1.376 on max load, not 1.45, however if i put 1.376 in the bios for vcore, p95 fails pretty much instantaneously. i don't get that. is it running at 1.45 or 1.376?