Computer wont start

asmolow

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
I have had my computer for about a year without problems. The motherboard is a ds3l with a q6600. I cant remember the power supply off the top of my head, but it is a good one.

I got the bright idea tonight to attempt to add my old IDE harddrive to my computer. I managed to get it all plugged up, but my computer wouldn't start. I decided to take it out to see what the deal was and my computer still wont start.

Everything is getting power, all the fans (including my 8800gt fan) and lights kick on, but nothing happens. Nothing displays on the monitor and there are no beeps or sounds other than the fans.

One thing that is throwing me off is I had a windows update (vista) before I shut down my computer. I did not restart before attempting to add the new hard drive, so the computer never had a chance to install the update. Is it possible this could be the problem?

Any ideas on what is going on?

rockford

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER shut off your computer while Vista is finalizing the installation of an update. That is probably what has hosed your computer.

I'm sure others will chime in with some additional ideas. Good luck.

The incomplete Vista update did not cause that issue. Check all connectors, including the ones on peripherals. There's a good chance you pulled one of them off (partly or completely) when you installed the IDE disk.

asmolow

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Ive checked all the plugs and have reseated things many times. I've got a big tower cooler on my q6600, is it possible I could have messed up the seal between my processer and cooler?

asmolow

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Everything powers up but it won't post. If i leave it alone the fans just keep blowing. My video card's fan revs up real high and won't lower itself down like it usually does on start up. There aren't any beeps, but my computer never beeped even when it worked.

asmolow

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2007
Well I went to bed pissed off and decided to give it one more go before work this morning. The prick powered up first try. Don't ask me how, I didnt change anything from last night.

Thanks anyways for your help.