Sign in with
Your question

Good 500-600W PSU?

Last response: in Components
February 11, 2009 5:14:58 PM

Well, my last PSU choice ended up a dud, so I figured I'd toss the question on here for input.

I'm needing a good 500-600W PSU for at most 120 USD.

Needs 28 Amps on 3.3v, 35 Amps on +5v, and 20 Amps on the 12V

Ya I know.. Pretty high requirements. Nevertheless that's what the asus tech support said. Had I known I needed to harness the power of the sun to keep it running stable I wouldn't have bought it ;) 

Thx in advance for any suggestions.

Oh for those curious, it's the Asus M3n78-EM

More about : good 500 600w psu

a b ) Power supply
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 11, 2009 6:00:09 PM

Newegg has a pc power and cooling silencer 610w with single 12v rail rated at 49 amps for $89.99 before $20 rebate.
February 11, 2009 6:04:21 PM

The +5 is what I'm concerned with. I couldn't find a single PSU on newegg that offered more than 30A.

I've written back to the customer service because frankly this looks like a typeo, and he meant 25A.
Related resources
February 11, 2009 9:07:57 PM

I heard back from asus, and this was the response.

"Hello,

A good PSU should range like this...

+3V = 30A
+5V = 35A
+12V = Combined Total 40A

Best Regards,

Lead Support Technician"

This seems pretty effin unbelievable to me. The only PSU's I can find on newegg with these combined amps are the 160$ + "server power supplies"

Even the 1000+W 500 dollar PSU's have only 30amps on +5.

I'm completely lost as to what PSU to purchase at this point, as he seems to be off his rocker.

I'm tending towards this corsair 850W, but the 5V is still 5 amps under what he claims the asus m3n78-EM requires.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 11, 2009 11:24:29 PM

What are the rest of your components? I find hard to believe that 780G motherboard, that can handle a single GPU PCIe would require that much power.

My system: Asus P5N-D, GTX260, 4 gig ram, 9 fans, 2 HD, 1 optical, 1 fan controller, overclocked E8400 to 4ghz, NO power saving features turned on, only draws 360W at full load.

What kind of problem are you facing that Asus tech support recommended a new PSU?
February 11, 2009 11:39:46 PM

Asus support is full crap. You will NEVER EVER need 35A on the +5V rail, that is why it doesn't exist. 30A is ridiculous really....
February 12, 2009 12:01:18 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256609-30-asus-m3n78-...

That's my original thread regarding it.

The PSU would make sense as it's started giving fluctuating voltages (in the BIOS though, don't have a DMM to get a more accurate reading) and is putting out a whine and a slight smell now.

Other people on newegg have complained of the m3n78-em being very demanding on their PSU as well.

I've stopped using it until I can afford to replace the PSU for fear of collateral damage. The mGPU is already giving greatly reduced performance, either from degradation due to overheating or lack of sufficient power, I'm not sure.
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 12, 2009 12:57:44 AM

+1 for what The_Blood_Raven said.

+1 for what flyin15sec said.

I went over to the your other thread and took a look at your components. Your pc does not require that much power. A lot of people overestimate their power requirements. It happens all the time at this forum. Rosewill psu's are not recommended by the veteran posters here so replacing it is a good idea. However, I would recommend replacing the motherboard. Finicky boards are a real pain to deal with.
February 12, 2009 1:59:59 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
+1 for what The_Blood_Raven said.

+1 for what flyin15sec said.

I went over to the your other thread and took a look at your components. Your pc does not require that much power. A lot of people overestimate their power requirements. It happens all the time at this forum. Rosewill psu's are not recommended by the veteran posters here so replacing it is a good idea. However, I would recommend replacing the motherboard. Finicky boards are a real pain to deal with.

Unfortunately this is an HTPC, and I'm having a real tough time finding a motherboard with HDMI that isn't finicky. Suggestions are very welcome.
February 12, 2009 2:30:42 AM

I would go ahead and take 01die's recommendation for the PC P&C 610. It is a quality brand with a low price.
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 12, 2009 2:58:06 AM

Here's a Biostar 790 series board I currently have in my personal pc which can also be used for htpc:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm just starting to get interested in HTPC so I can't vouch for the board's home theater capabilities. I've got it paired with an AMD Athalon 64x2 6000 and it has performed flawlessly for several months. I am fairly certain it was the first 790 board they came out with. The other versions have a slightly different layout.

BTW - I had very bad luck with premium 790 series boards. When I saw Biostar had several 790 series boards I decided to go back to them. I did some budget builds a couple of years ago for friends using Biostar socket 939 boards. The systems are still running and nobody has complained so I figured what the heck. Biostar had a reputation for building solid entry level and mid-level boards. I think they did better this time.
!