Can a hard drive kill a power supply

richardcolvard

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
can a hard drive kill a power supply. I have a compaq persario S6306RC and the green light on the back is blinking but nothing works no lights no nothing. If i disconect all the power supply wire from inside the computer the green light stays on. the power supply is a bestec 240w power supply the hard drive is a samsung SV0802N 80gb spinpoint HD so does anyone have any takes on this.

A hard drive should not kill a power supply; a well designed power supply should be able to take a short between any of the supply rails without blowing itself up. Saying that I have known power supplies to fail due to shorts but they have been cheap and nasty ones.
If you mean can a faulty hard disk short the power supply rails then the answer is yes, I have seen the decoupling capacitors across the hard drives power supply terminal go short circuit and burn up although this is very rare
The odds are that it is the power supply that is faulty not the hard disk.

Truth on MLM

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
240 w isn't much power. If you have a bunch of extra devices hooked up, then you could kill the power supply faster. I added a DVD burner and HD in 1 day and the power supply didn't have enough power for them (on an older machine). Several weeks later, my machine started to shutdown on it's own. - just my 2 cents.

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

Yes, I have known this to happen...