Repeated Ram Failures (At wits end)

deathbringer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Hello, I am having repeated problems with memory failures. I have a foxconn C51XEM2aa motherboard, and an AMD 6000+ processor. Over the last 16 months, I have lost 4 sets of ram. :cry: 3 sets of Crucuial Ballistix 4-4-4-12 and one set of Mushkin 5-4-4-12. Any ideas why the ram keeps going?

I always set it to advertised speeds and always set to the recommended voltage, I have run OC'ed to 3240MHZ (216 * 15 multi), but I stopped that and ram still burns out. I generally get 3-5 months of solid runtime and then start getting BSODs from IRQL not less or equal. Then a memtest check gives tons of errors.

Can my motherboard be frying ram, or perhaps a power supply? I am tired of replacing ram and warranty hassles. :fou: Any Ideas would be great!!

arges86

Distinguished
it probably wouldn't be the PSU, since its not directly connected the RAM
it could be the motherboard, it could be improperly inserted, or even random dust getting in and shorting it out.
I'd try to clean the sockets as much as possible.
Then maybe its your MOBO

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Well, the recent Crucial Ballistix, especially the stuff using 2.1V or higher, was crappy ram and died alot. Well known issue. As for the Mushkins, I don't know. But I think some older Nvidia chipsets were known for killing ram with voltage fluctualtions too. So, if you're using good ram, especially if at less than 2.1V, then my guess is the motherboard killing it. A crappy psu is also possibly the cause, but unlikely as that would probably kill the motherboard too.

deathbringer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
The Crucial was 2.2 originally and then they replaced it with the single sided RAM that caused tons of problems for everyone. The Mushkin is rated to get 5-4-4-12 @ 1.8 volts, but I bumped it to 1.9 to be safe. It is warrantied to 2.1 so that seems OK. The weird part is that when my RAM goes, usually both sticks give errors, not just one. That is why I thought that something might be frying it. Usually, you can pull one of a set and solve the problems, right? I can't.

deathbringer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Kinda what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation. ( Crawls away weeping, wondering were he is going to get the dough for a new board.)