Unable to shrink partition on windows 7....PLEASE HELP

wolf_86

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
hello guys...

i recently purchased an hp dv4i laptop.....with windows 7......
i have a 500gb hard drive.......
i wanted to allocate a 100gb to my windows partition....
but the c partition doesnt shrink beyond 228 GB.....
can someone help.....
thanks.

Solution
Problem is with "Hidden" file location on HDD.
Try disabiling hibernation, reboot and delete hybernation file. File is hidden file and normally stored toward the end of the HD and you can only shrink upto file location.
Might be able to use disk cleanup to delete file. under accessories, system tools .

a 2nd file problem may be the "system rstore file' See my link at end.
I had this problem about a year ago on wife's "Store bought - ugh" system and that is what I found after doing a google search. Was able to shrink partition after following suggestions in link. Would have elaberated more, but have to go bowling.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

wolf_86

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
sorry budy but i tried EASEUS as well as PARTITION WIZARD software....
when I use these programes they simply show the hard drive and that all the options r disabled.......
may be there is some company setting disabling the programes to take over.... and they need to be disabled first......
thanx 4 the reply.....
i hope tht u have another solution tht u may suggest.....
thx.

Problem is with "Hidden" file location on HDD.
Try disabiling hibernation, reboot and delete hybernation file. File is hidden file and normally stored toward the end of the HD and you can only shrink upto file location.
Might be able to use disk cleanup to delete file. under accessories, system tools .

a 2nd file problem may be the "system rstore file' See my link at end.
I had this problem about a year ago on wife's "Store bought - ugh" system and that is what I found after doing a google search. Was able to shrink partition after following suggestions in link. Would have elaberated more, but have to go bowling.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

Solution

wolf_86

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
hae man u hav really rescued me.........

oh my this thing worked.......
this issuse had me frustated so much........

thanks GOD its over......

thanks @RetiredChief......thanks alot............