Sign in with
Your question

How to run 2 operating systems

Last response: in Storage
April 25, 2010 10:45:04 AM

I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit in raid 0 on 2 1tb hard drives. I do alot of gaming and wanted to run windows xp home edition also for the older games. On this raid setup now I have no seperate partitions. Windows 7 and everythng all together. What would be the best way to add XP? Put it on the same disk in raid 0, or put the operating systems on seperate drives? Also the best way to partition and what partition size because I have never setup partitions. I want the best partition setup with this so my games will be faster and overall PC performance. Thanks for any help.

More about : run operating systems

a c 127 G Storage
April 25, 2010 11:45:15 AM

Separate disk would the easiest. XP will not profit from RAID0 much anyway due to the way it creates partitions. Use a separate non-RAID drive to boot XP if possible.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
April 25, 2010 11:52:28 AM

mstang783 said:
I have windows 7 home premium 64 bit in raid 0 on 2 1tb hard drives. I do alot of gaming and wanted to run windows xp home edition also for the older games. On this raid setup now I have no seperate partitions. Windows 7 and everythng all together. What would be the best way to add XP? Put it on the same disk in raid 0, or put the operating systems on seperate drives? Also the best way to partition and what partition size because I have never setup partitions. I want the best partition setup with this so my games will be faster and overall PC performance. Thanks for any help.

Google is your friend.
There are many guides that will tell you how to do this, although you are writing a recipe for certain disaster by trying to do it on a RAID 0 setup.
Be prepared to format, and start all over.
That is good advice from submesa, it would be best to do it on a different drive. Win 7 on 2 1TB drives in RAID0? Why would you do that?
m
l
Related resources
April 25, 2010 12:03:52 PM

Yeah given my current setup, I will go with the 2 os on seperate drives. Well when I download drivers like for my graphic cards will the 2 hard drives clash? Can I download drivers for each hard drive without any problem?

m
l
May 3, 2010 7:53:48 PM

are you kidding me? use Virtual box you can have multiple operating systems on the same machine working AT THE SAME TIME!!! that bears repeating VIRTUAL BOX WILL ALLOW MULTIPLE OPERATING SYSTEM RUN AT THE SAME TIME. wanna know something cool about it? it is FREE!!! google virtual box down load it onto your machine and have at it.
m
l
!