Overclocking E5200 on Gigabyte G31M-ES2L

i have bought a new cpu.
its specifications are as follows:

Processor: Intel Dual Core E5200

Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L

RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 800MHz DDR2

Graphics Card: Geforce 8600gt 512MB DDR2(just using for dvi out :D )

Hard Disk: 500GB Seagate SATA II
i am using a 400watt psu.
i am newbie to this field but i want to overclock it above 3.5ghz..
do i need a cooler or i can do it on stock? & can i overclock my ram on this board ?
any suggestion will be appritiated..
10 answers Last reply
More about overclocking e5200 gigabyte g31m es2l
  1. Yes and Yes.

First get this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Then go here
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

And dont forget google

The G31 might have a little trouble overclocking with a 45nm processor but you should still see 3ghz+
  2. 3.7ghz shouldn't be too bad either.. my one friend also had an e5200 on stock cooling and reached 3.7ghz with temps in the 60's...

it would also be wise to buy the cooler SAAIELLO recomended
  3. Good cooler. Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

And it's pretty large, so it might not fit inside your case.

For the overclock:
    In addition to the guide SAAIELLO linked to, look at this one:
    Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.html
    It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.

Go through the guides. Then go into the BIOS and change the System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.00 or 2.00B - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in step with it. Stock, your FSB frequency is 200 MHz. Your memory clock should be 400 MHz.

I was able to get my G41/E5200 up to 3.78 GHz (315 MHz X 12) 24 hour Prime95 stable. Some of the others here were able to get past 4 GHz. But YMMV.
    ----------
    Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
  4. I think it's unlikely for the topic creator to get his E5200 to 3.5Ghz unless he's lucky.

It's becuase if I remember correctly the G31M-ES2L do not have settings for CPU vCore, just RAM speeds/voltage but it also cannot change specific RAM timings as well.

I don't even remember that having VTT settings as well.

Well, my suggestion is to lower the RAM speed to the lowest setting (Set your RAM speed to 667 or even lower.) and then set a high FSB and pray.... :(
  5. stridervm said:
    I think it's unlikely for the topic creator to get his E5200 to 3.5Ghz unless he's lucky.

It's becuase if I remember correctly the G31M-ES2L do not have settings for CPU vCore, just RAM speeds/voltage but it also cannot change specific RAM timings as well.

I don't even remember that having VTT settings as well.

Well, my suggestion is to lower the RAM speed to the lowest setting (Set your RAM speed to 667 or even lower.) and then set a high FSB and pray.... :(

I think he can hit with some fair number of attempts.
    I am running the EXACT same combo ( only ram is kingston 800 mhz ) of mobo and cpu and i am at 3.75
    ghz.
    It does have settings for Vcore as i ave set to mine at 1.35 in bios.
    SPD at 2.66.
    So ram runnng at full 800 mhz.
    My favorite is Intel burn test and it is stable thourgh that.
    Btw believe it or not for budget games ( i will say exclude insane spenders ) i will feel gigabyte is our friend to go. Excellent price and perfectly able to understant games need.
    I am at work else would have attached relevent screnshots as well.
    Regards.
  6. with dual sided ram the FSB will not go as high as it could with single sided ram
    please refer to the spec on the manufacturers website
  7. yeah i agree with jsc (I was able to get my G41/E5200 up to 3.78 GHz (315 MHz X 12) 24 hour Prime95 stable. Some of the others here were able to get past 4 GHz. But YMMV.) also you must remmember its about luck.not all the componen the same in 1 factory. mybe you get lucky to have cpu oc like that or worse.
  8. spentshells said:
    with dual sided ram the FSB will not go as high as it could with single sided ram
    please refer to the spec on the manufacturers website

If you have, for example, DDR2-800 RAM, it is not going to make any difference whether or not it's single or dual sided RAM. At a 333 MHz FSB speed (DDR2-667 mem speed at 1:1), the CPU core is running a bit over 4 GHz.

With a chip like the E5200 and it's low FSB and high internal multiplier, the only way you can exceed memory specs is with LN2.
  9. hmm .. i know that has been more than 6 months from last post but.. i'm curious to know if you have any advices for me
    i have now the same config as mobo and CPU + 4 G of RAM at 667 and unfortunately i can'T OC ...
  10. jsc said:
    If you have, for example, DDR2-800 RAM, it is not going to make any difference whether or not it's single or dual sided RAM. At a 333 MHz FSB speed (DDR2-667 mem speed at 1:1), the CPU core is running a bit over 4 GHz.

With a chip like the E5200 and it's low FSB and high internal multiplier, the only way you can exceed memory specs is with LN2.

I found with the p31/g31 boards that single sided ram does much better. I believe that the power drain from 2 sided modules is too great for this chipset. I couldn't get the fsb to budge at all with 2 x 2 sided ram modules in a GA g31m es2l. But it would increase if I removed one module, and I tried it with 2 x single sided modules and got a better overclock. Still pretty crappy, fsb up to 270 from 200 with a e4300, but considering it wouldn't even post with 2 double sided modules in place...
    In fact it wouldn't post if I even enabled user control over FSB... and I didn't change settings from stock.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Gigabyte Product