I7 920 + TRUE really high temps...

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I just built my new pc, Core i7 920 @ stock speeds...I am using a TRUE that I lapped myself, it has a good finish, and it does not really rock back and forth on the table, so I believe it is relatively flat...I have a push-pull configuration scythe s-flex e fans, not sure what RPM, just plugged them into my psu...

my temperatures on idle are between 42-48*C...that is with no programs running at all, so I can't help but believe there is some problem...Intel Burn Test won't even run on the least stressful setting...I tried reseating the heatsink, but no change in temperatures, in fact I think the temps went up by a few degrees...

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know the i7 run hot, but this is ridiculous...I haven't even tried to run a game or multitask because I'm afraid the CPU will just die on me...any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot!

What are your ambient temps when you're testing? Have you tried testing with just one fan?

"it does not really rock back and forth on the table" That might happen even if the center of the heat sink is concave. Did you eyeball the bottom of the heatsink with a straight edge?

What thermal compound are you using and what method are you using to apply it?

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
My ambient temps are ~25*C, haven't tried with just one fan, but I know they are going in the same direction so shouldn't be too much of a problem there...

I was actually thinking the center of the heatsink may be concave, definitely can't tell by just looking at it, but I can try the razor later on...

I'm using arctic silver 5 and I used a credit card to spread it around in a really thin layer...the true 120 is ridiculous to install though, and it definitely was sliding around when I tried installing it...

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I'm using the included bracket...The spring-loaded screws that came with the TRUE are what I'm using, is there something else to use?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
What type of case do you have? Even though your room temps are 26C, your case temps maybe be alot higher if there isn't enough air flow in the case.

Lapping just the HSF, doesn't always help, because the CPU heat spreader is not flat. For optimal lapping performance most do HSF and CPU.

Also you need to identify the exact fan you are using. Some 120mm fan push 100cfm, while others only about 30cfm.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
i7 CPUs run extremely hot, but not that hot. The heatsink would have to be extremely concave to do this since the thermal paste would make up for any slight concaveness (is that a word?).

What case are you using and what fans are in it?

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I'm using a Centurion 590, granted the cable management is not good at all...I have 4 fans, 2 intake in the front, 2 exhaust (1 back, 1 side) + 2 fans in push-pull on the TRUE 120...

I am using all Scythe S-Flex E fans (49.0CFM I believe)...I wanted to use 2 more fans up top, and 1 side fan blowing cool air directly on to the heatsink, but the size of the TRUE prevents all of this...

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Only thing I can think of, is for you to try the washer mod. It will put more pressure on the CPU.

Just search: TRUE washer Mod, you'll get plenty of hits.

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
yeah, i'll try it, but i think i need to remove the mobo from the case...getting the screws in normally is hard enough, with a washer in between i can't even imagine trying to put in the screws...

If the cable management is not good, it could be causing airflow problems. It'd have to be fairly bad for this to be the case, but aside from that, I can't think of anything. My i7 even overclocked at 4GHz easily runs at a mid 30s idle with a TRUE.

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Is there a possible problem with the CPU? I don't think I have enough to warrant an RMA in newegg's eyes, because the computer is running fine right now, and they'll say it's within normal operating temperatures, even though Intel Burn Test is showing that the CPU and/or RAM is unstable...

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Sooo I just ran Prime95, and I got my temperatures back...

Core 0-67*C
Core 1-65*C
Core 2-67*C
Core 3-65*C

This is under full load, so these temperatures seem pretty decent even with the high idle temps, I don't think I'll have any problems....I still want to fix the high idle temps because Intel Burn Test is failing everytime, but it's a little less of an issue knowing that with 100% CPU stress, all temps were under 70*C

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Try running it with the computer case is on it's side so that the heatsink is vertical and push down on it while running the stress tests. If your temperatures are lower, then it's a mounting problem. The TRUE is very heavy and may pull away when mounted horizontal if it doesn't have enough pressure. If this is the problem, then the washer mod may help. Also, go to the Arvtic silver website and follow their instructions for how to apply the thermal paste.

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I tried putting the case on the side, and pushing down on it (at idle, not stressed), and the idle temps dropped 1-2*C...nothing very substantial, but it did help...the TRUE is wiggling easily, is this supposed to happen? Or should it be very tight on the CPU? I was scared to push the TRUE down too hard, I didn't want to damage the CPU with pressure...

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
cjl, your load temps are ~65*C? Or 45*C? But still, your CPU is at 4 GHz, mine is running at 2.78 GHz (I thought it was a 2.66 GHz CPU...I haven't yet played with any settings in the BIOS, I don't know what the change is...)

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Definitely sounds like it's not mounted right. Do this while at load when more heat is produced and you will likely see a more drastic drop.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
There is usually a spacer you can use if you're not getting enough pressure when mounting the heatsink on the bracket. Also, I don't use a fan on the side of my case (Antec 900), but don't people usually mount the fan there so that it draws air into the case onto the motherboard and components and not exhausting it out?

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Okay, so I remounted it, using a sticky pad and a foam spacer...(made an almost cracking noise due to the added pressure, but comp is running perfect so I don't think there's any problem there...

My idles are still between 39-47, and my load temps were between 60-67 across all the cores, so the load temps definitely dropped, but these are still ridiculous temperatures...I forgot to check the flatness with a razor, but I'm hoping it was pretty flat...

I want to overclock the CPU, but Intel Burn Test still shows my PC failing linpack testing, and I don't know why...the voltage for ram is 1.65V i think, and cpu is 1.247V...I may try reducing ram voltage, since 1.65V is the limit for i7 cpu/mobos...

sshashid87

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Double post, sorry...

But, since I am only using 1200 RPM fans, and I don't really know if they are at full speed, should I opt for some higher CFM fans? Or are 49 CFM enough (using 2 in push-pull on TRUE)?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
You'll be sacrificing more noise for more cooling. 2000rpm is where most 120mm fans will generate enough noise to be noticable. Take for example, Ultra Kaze 3K. I used it to test cooling on my i7 setup, I could hear the fan blowing in my basement from my living room on the first floor. Definitely not advisable, unless you get some type of fan controller to turn down voltage/speed.