Overclocking a wolfdale in g31mxp?

randydesilva

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hello,i use an e7500 wolfdale and a foxconn G31MXP-k motherboard.I like to overclock the CPU to something like 3.5, but i have these doubts..
1. Will the temp get too high? (more than 65?)
2. How will it affect to it's lifespan
3. Will the warranty get canceled if i overclock?

And, Can you give me a link for a good overclock guide?

Thanks in advance

Solution
1) I don't know, would depend on your cooler, voltage, final clock speed, ambient temperature, case, and airflow inside your case.

2) Mild overclocks can have little to no effect on lifespan, but any time you increase the voltage, it does begin to stress it more, and will reduce it.

3) You betcha.

Also, how did you miss the sticky at the top of the Overclocking section about overclocking Core 2 CPU's?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
1) I don't know, would depend on your cooler, voltage, final clock speed, ambient temperature, case, and airflow inside your case.

2) Mild overclocks can have little to no effect on lifespan, but any time you increase the voltage, it does begin to stress it more, and will reduce it.

3) You betcha.

Also, how did you miss the sticky at the top of the Overclocking section about overclocking Core 2 CPU's?

Solution
This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then go into the BIOS and change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in step with it. At stock speeds, your FSB freq will be 266 MHz. Your memory clock should be 533 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be 1:1.

Good cooler and relatively inexpensive:
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Suggestions for applying thermal compound:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

Keep your core temperatures under 70 C. and don't exceed 1.3625 volts. Short of a random failure, your system will be obsolete long before the CPU fails from overclocking.

Technically, overclocking will invalidate the warranty but if you stay within the above limits, I don't see how Intel could tell that you were overclocking.

One thing you can do is to run the system at stock for a week or so.

randydesilva

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

I actually did it. Now it's more like a beast. :D
But i have another problem. My fan is some 2500rpm (stock cooler). And the temp before i overclock was about 36, Now it's some 38? :heink:

sO IsN't it sUppOrsed to Be a bIt mOre hIgH?
I checked dxdiag, it shows 3.7Ghz, and Cpu z too shows the overclocked clock speed.
What is happening?