Can't Install Widows XP on SATA HD

I am trying to install a new Western Digital SATA HD(Caviar blue 500gb) to a Goldfish2-GL8E motherboard (HP a819n desktop) When I try to install my old Windows XP SP1, it appears to install but when it reboots it just cycles back around and tries to reboot again as if it doesn't recognize the HD. It appears that I am mixing the old with the new and it just isn't working.

Any help out there for this one?
5 answers Last reply
More about install widows sata
  1. XP does not contain a generic SATA driver. You need to create a driver disk you can use when prompted for special drivers, or you can add the SATA driver to your XP disc. To add the driver to the disc use instructions such as these: http://www.digitgeek.com/how-to-slipstream-sata-drivers-into-xp-cd/
  2. Thanks for the response!
    This sounds like what I should do. I'll give it a shot....

Thanks again.
  3. One other thing that was just brought up on another thread:

Some motherboards support an IDE mode for SATA drives. The performance might be slightly less, but if you just want it to work see if your BIOS has an IDE mode for SATA drives.
  4. PhilFrisbie said:
    One other thing that was just brought up on another thread:

Some motherboards support an IDE mode for SATA drives. The performance might be slightly less, but if you just want it to work see if your BIOS has an IDE mode for SATA drives.

Thanks for the response and your previous help. This weekend I made a slipstreamed XP/SATA drivers disk as you had mentioned and everything loaded up just fine.

Thanks again for your help..
  5. pjsteel said:
    Thanks for the response and your previous help. This weekend I made a slipstreamed XP/SATA drivers disk as you had mentioned and everything loaded up just fine.

Thanks again for your help..

So you are saying I had the best answer ;) (hint...hint) :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers SATA HD Windows XP