Sign in with
Your question

Logitech z 5500 with 5.1 headphones

Last response: in Components
February 12, 2009 1:51:59 AM

Hello, I couldn't find a proper section to post this, and this looked like the most appropriate. Sorry if it's the wrong one.

Let's say I have connected my z 5500 to a computer which provides 5.1 output through an optical connection. Will a Medusa 5.1 headset provide a 5.1 sound if i connect it to the z 5500 system, or just a crappy stereo? The computer has no ports available for it. Although I'm a bit confused, because medusa has 4x3.5mm jacks, while the z 5500 has only 3 jack inputs, so I'm not sure how to connect them.
Can anybody answer, please? Thank you.
March 4, 2009 2:53:44 PM

Quote:
Let's say I have connected my z 5500 to a computer which provides 5.1 output through an optical connection. Will a Medusa 5.1 headset provide a 5.1 sound if i connect it to the z 5500 system, or just a crappy stereo?

if you want to connect it it with a digital connection (optical/coaxial) you have to ensure that your soundcard is capable of producing a dolby digital live/dts connect stream. otherwise you would only get a stereo sound.
Quote:
Although I'm a bit confused, because medusa has 4x3.5mm jacks, while the z 5500 has only 3 jack inputs, so I'm not sure how to connect them.

i don't know the headset, but it HAS to have got 4 jacks: 3 jacks for 5.1 sound an 1 jack for the mic.

i hope i was able to help you.
March 7, 2009 3:02:39 AM

If the headset has 3 connectors, than you will need to plug all those into your sound card to get all the speakers in your Medusa working. If it has a USB port, than you will just plug it into a free USB. I do not believe there will be any way to plug it into the Z5500 to get all of the speakers working.

Ohh and do not go calling stereo crappy, well implemented stereo is always better than poorly implemented surround. (Would bolting 3 Honda civics together make them go any faster?)
!