Sign in with
Your question

Defective CPUs?

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 21, 2010 2:41:27 PM

Hello, I'm in the market to purchase a new i7 930 and am definitely interested in overclocking it.

I was wondering if its possible to actually purchase a CPU which is incapable of being OC'd to say 3.8GHz because of heat problems in the CPU. I realize that not all CPUs are the same.

If I were to purchase the best cooling case, 9 fans, V8 heatsink, best thermal paste etc. etc. Basically the best air cooling solution, is it still possible to be screwed with a CPU that I could never get above 3.8GHz no matter what I do?

If I'm an unlucky one who gets one of these CPUs, whats my options? Is it even possible to RMA (newegg or intel)? Anyone have any experience in this?

Again, I'm just interested in OC'ing and I know that all CPUs are different. I just don't want to get one that can only OC at 200MHz higher with 79'C Full Load even though I have a $300 air cooling setup.

More about : defective cpus

March 21, 2010 4:37:56 PM

It is within the possibility realm. And I hate to say it but should it happen, you are just SOL. You cannot return/RMA the CPU because you only know how much you can OC a CPU by actually OC-ing it which voids the warranty or whatever return T&C.

It's like someone buying an "Intel Core i7-920" online and received the 920 but C0 stepping. The current generation (so to speak) is D0 stepping which is much easier to overclock (and has higher overclocking potential). The CPU works fine the way it was designed to be so you can't RMA it. You can't even insist on getting a D0 because you have already received an i7-920 which is exactly what was advertised. That was why I made the effort to make sure I'm buying a D0 stepping when I bought my CPU - but I digressed.

So ya, although I think the chance is small, it's not impossible to get a CPU with lower than usual OC-capability.
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
March 22, 2010 11:25:44 AM

I need a :sigh: smiley.

Intel will sell you a CPU that they will guarantee will run at its rated speed.

Too many people have been spoiled by the very likely possibility of a 40% - 50% overclock.

It's likely, but not certain, that you can get a useful overclock.
!