Strychnos

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
I haven't built a computer in years and I've forgotten all the details. I plan on building this (or something very similar to it) in a month or so.

My main questions are about the motherboard/CPU/PSU:
-Is it a good motherboard? More generally, what makes a good motherboard/what are good brands?
-Is the i7 worth it at this point? Will it be worth it in 1-2 months.
-Is 750W enough for the i7 and the GTX 260 Core 216? Will it be enough if I want to SLI with another GTX 260 in the future?

Parts:
Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA Intel X58 ATX
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz
GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB
PSU: Corsair CMPSU 750TX 750W

Thanks for the help!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
My main questions are about the motherboard/CPU/PSU:
-Is it a good motherboard? More generally, what makes a good motherboard/what are good brands?

Asus and Gigabyte are the top brands, but it's really hard to find a bad brand these days. MSI, DFI, FoxConn, etc... are all good brands.

As for what makes a good board, chipset and features. The X58 is Intels newest, bestest chipset, you shouldn't be dissapointed with that particular board. As for features, what do you need? That board has Digital Audio, eSATA, FireWire, Dual-Ethernet, etc... If you want all that, good, if you don't care, you can look at other motherboards that don't have the stuff you don't want (some boards have single ethernet, no firewire, etc...). The Core i7 and X58 are so new and high-end, though, you won't find a much cheaper board for a while, and it won't have the x58.

-Is the i7 worth it at this point? Will it be worth it in 1-2 months.

No. You won't find many games that will benefit from the i7 with only one GPU (or even two 260's). Tom's just did a comparison between the i7, Core 2, and Phenom. It shows a benefit when using the i7, but remember, they were using the 965 Extreme edition CPU and THREE GTX280's or 2 4870x2's, which is a lot of power. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-gaming,2061.html

If you want my opinion, the price of the Core i7 won't be worth it until Intel releases the more mainstream P55 chipset, which will still support SLI and Crossfire. Unfortunately that's not due out for quite a few months. The X58 is such a high-end chipset, you'll be paying for a lot of un-utilized features.

-Is 750W enough for the i7 and the GTX 260 Core 216? Will it be enough if I want to SLI with another GTX 260 in the future?

Should be. The recommended PSU for a GTX 260 is only 500W. Though depending on how many other components you put in there (in addition to a second 260), a 1000W will give you more headroom.