HELP! new system won't boot

I have an ASUS Rampage Formula, 3.3 Ghz E8600 CPU, G.Skill ram, and Corsair 750watt power supply.

I just put this system together today, and I was very careful with everything.

When I power the system on, the "poster" says CPU INIT, and that's as far as I get. No beep, no display, nothing. Also, all three LED's on the motherboard for every item are lit up. And the fan's come on. Also, the hard drives, and CD rom spool up....but I'm staring at a completely black screen.

I'm completely dead in the water on this one....I don't know if I got a bad CPU, or what.....
Right now I'm stuck on hold with ASUS....can anybody help????
32 answers Last reply
More about help system boot
  1. give FULL specs first and let me see what i can do.
  2. you plug in the 4 pin CPU aux power cord?

not sure about that particular Asus board but I bought fairly new Asus board a few months ago only to find out it needed a BIOS update to run a 45 nm - I got the CPU init error too. I had to put in an old CPU, flash the BIOS, and then put back the new one and it worked fine. Just because a particular board says it supports 45 nm does not mean it will on an older bios.
  3. it could be your gpu
  4. It sounds like the 4/8-pin CPU power connector isn't plugged in. It's an 8-pin connector with a cover over 4 pins. It'll be in the upper-left corner of the motherboard when it's installed in the system.

It could also be that your CPU isn't supported with the shipped BIOS revision. The E8600 isn't supported on that board until BIOS 0407.
  5. Case: Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan $169.99

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 Wolfdale 3.33GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor $269.99

MB: ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard $288.99

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply $99.00(after $20 mail-in rebate)

CD/DVD: SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe $27.99

HDD: 1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive $139.99

GIGABYTE GV-R485OC-1GH Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card $179.99(after $20 mail in rebate)

RAM: ORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory $79.99(after $40.00 mail in rebate)

I did what ASUS told me, which was to unplug the computer, and push and hold the CMOS button for 10 seconds....did that, now when I put the plug in, the system won't even power up....nothing, no lights, no fans, nothing.

Going to yank power supply out and just bench test it with one fan to see if it will power that up.
  6. Just tell us you plugged in the 4 pin CPU aux power cable and we can start thinking about other things.

And did you ask them about the BIOS version which supports that chip?
  7. shortstuff_mt said:
    It sounds like the 4/8-pin CPU power connector isn't plugged in. It's an 8-pin connector with a cover over 4 pins. It'll be in the upper-left corner of the motherboard when it's installed in the system.

It could also be that your CPU isn't supported with the shipped BIOS revision. The E8600 isn't supported on that board until BIOS 0407.

That was plugged in. I've built systems before, and I took my time with this one. It took me 6 fricking hours to get to this point........
  8. And the BIOS version number?
  9. No idea...can't get that far....won't boot or do anything.
  10. On an Gigabyte Board I had recently I had to ONLY plug in four pins of the 8 in the ATX_Aux socket? (Read Manual before trying)
  11. iflyems said:
    No idea...can't get that far....won't boot or do anything.

Well on a very similar board, maybe even the exact same one I'm not sure it was for a friend a while back, I got nothing, no fans nothing but a 'cpu init' error on that little LCD they give you - I put in an older cpu and it fired right up. I flashed the BIOS and then the newer Intel chip, an E8400 I think, fired right up also.

The BIOS version number might be on a sticker on the box itself. Look into this because if your BIOS does not support the newer 45 nm chips this is exactly the error you get.
  12. notherdude said:
    And the BIOS version number?

+1

The "CPU INIT" message would strongly support the theory of a BIOS revision of less than 0407 especially since the CPU power connector is plugged in.

Since you took so much time putting this together, I'm guessing the 6-pin power connector is connected to the GPU also? Don't take this as an insult, I'm just trying to eliminate all possibilities, but it really looks like the CPU isn't supported with the shipped BIOS revision.
  13. Its a brand new board...it should support the E8600 without having to go through all that.

I checked the power supply. Basically I unplugged everything except a fan, and it won't power the fan up, so its dead.

But, the power supply worked initially.......I just couldn't boot up.....so now I have to take out the freaking motherboard too, send both back, wait, and try it again......I can't even begin to tell you how frustrating this is.
  14. shortstuff_mt said:
    +1

The "CPU INIT" message would strongly support the theory of a BIOS revision of less than 0407 especially since the CPU power connector is plugged in.

Since you took so much time putting this together, I'm guessing the 6-pin power connector is connected to the GPU also? Don't take this as an insult, I'm just trying to eliminate all possibilities, but it really looks like the CPU isn't supported with the shipped BIOS revision.

Yea, everything was plugged in, to both cards.

Its strange really.....now I don't even have power, like the PSU got killed by pushing the CMOS reset....but how could that be possible?? The PSU wasn't even plugged in at the time..

And, I do not have another socket 775 to plug in, so that will never happen.
  15. iflyems said:
    Its a brand new board...it should support the E8600 without having to go through all that.

I checked the power supply. Basically I unplugged everything except a fan, and it won't power the fan up, so its dead.

But, the power supply worked initially.......I just couldn't boot up.....so now I have to take out the freaking motherboard too, send both back, wait, and try it again......I can't even begin to tell you how frustrating this is.

Just because it's a new board doesn't mean it will automatically support a recent E0 stepping CPU. That's what BIOS revisions are for.

The PSU won't power up unless it's plugged into the motherboard unless you do the paperclip trick. I would not suggest that for you. It sounds like you've made up your mind to start sending stuff back, but I highly doubt it's a hardware issue. I would just buy a 65nm chip that is supported on that board from the first BIOS revision and then turn around and sell it on e-bay or something.
  16. do not send this stuff back. It's just as shortstuff said. You cannot power up a power supply by connecting it to a fan, lol.

You need a bios revision, plain and simple. Now, how to do that? local stores can, if someone is willing to let you borrow their cpu you can do it that way.

bUt sending it back? You might get the same problem again... not smart.
  17. I'm sending it back. If ASUS can't get me a motherboard to work with my CPU, then I'm done. I can't understand why they would send out a MB that wouldn't work with an E8600...
  18. You're showing an utter mis-understanding of how computer hardware works. The E8600 is a very new CPU that didn't even exist when your board was designed and made. When the E8600 came out, Asus released a BIOS revision that supported it. Don't blame it on Asus, they have no way of knowing what CPU's Intel will release.
  19. its becuase the board was probably manufactured before the chip was... board sits on a shelf with other stock in front of it new boards come in it gets pushed to the back stock gets low some unlucky person gets an old board and has to revise the bios...woulda costed you prob 10 buck to bring it to the local comp shop and had them flash it if you couldnt have borrowed one. probably less then your spending sending everything back especially if your "done" and paying restocking fees....
  20. iflyems said:
    I'm sending it back. If ASUS can't get me a motherboard to work with my CPU, then I'm done. I can't understand why they would send out a MB that wouldn't work with an E8600...

Hang on now. Build frustration is a biatch. Trust me, I've been there. We simply need to confirm one way or another that you need that new BIOS. Maybe you do and maybe you don't. Unfortunately Asus website is HORRIBLE! But we can get to the bottom of this.

IF you need a BIOS update you simply take the mobo to a PC shop and get them to toss a 65 nm chip in there and flash it for you - maybe $40 or so but it will save you a lot pf potential trouble and the mailing time and expense.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx this page shows support for e8600 only after bios 0407 which came out in aug of this year. It is quite possible the board could have been boxed or shipped to the seller before this date.

I do not know if this is your problem or not but it sure looks like it might be. The BIOS rev # is usually on the sticker that is pasted on the side of the MOBO box itself. Sometimes a board will POST an unsupported CPU and sometimes it won't. As I recall the switch to 45 nm was one of those changes which actually required a new BIOS to even start up. I got the same symptom you did.
  21. I already sent back the MB and PSU. Newegg paid the return shipping.
    I can return the CPU and get something else...but, will one of the newer quad cores, like the Q9650 work?? Or, will I have the same problem??
  22. The Q9650 is also an E0 stepping and requires the same BIOS revision as the E8600. To bad you already sent the MB and PSU back. I highly doubt they were defective.
  23. Yea....oh well. When I get the new one, hopefully it will have a newer bios. Otherwise I need to figure out a way to upgrade the bios, with a CPU, which will be a good trick.
  24. that's were the local pc shop comes in handy... quite a few of them will help you out for cheap hoping that you'll come back to them and tell your friends how they helped you.
  25. Attention please! iflyems and all! What a coincidence - I was just about to create a problem thread here concerning my computer (naturally what else do you do here:D)

iflyems, we have a very similar rig, here's mine:

Mobo: Asus Rampage Formula
    CPU: E8500
    GFX: 9800GX2
    RAM: 4X DDR 2 (can't recall exact spec, at work)
    Chassi: Antec 900
    HD: Samsung sata 700gb

And we have the exactly same problem!!!

What's "weird" in my particular case is that this computer has been running fine all along- til yesterday! I've been given no warnings whatsoever or any indication that something is wrong in 3 months (only 3month old rig).

2 days ago I was using the computer, and shut it down, normally. Next day when about to use it again I power it on, here's what happens:

All electronics power up, every indicator LED on this mobo is green and basically saying everything is OK. I do not however get any output on my monitor, it doesn't get any signal! My keyboard does not react on LEDs like CAPSLOCK, numlock etc. I check the network contacts and they have two LEDs you know- active and link state. Both remain dead even if cable is connected to my router which is fine. It should light up on both LEDs as cable and router is OK.

It seems as computer has completely stalled or somehow failing POST. What totally sucks is that I don't have LCD display you can plug into mobo via USB for diagnostics, but if I haf to guess I guess it stopts at "cpu init".

I feel I have a decent experience and knowledge of hardware but I'm totally stunned by this scenario. I have no clue what to do _especially_ since rig has been working like a dream all along without any warnings like mentioned early.

Suddenly it just stopped working, and now just stalls at booting up. :(

What do you think dudes?
  26. jonra said:
    Attention please! iflyems and all! What a coincidence - I was just about to create a problem thread here concerning my computer (naturally what else do you do here:D)

iflyems, we have a very similar rig, here's mine:

Mobo: Asus Rampage Formula
    CPU: E8500
    GFX: 9800GX2
    RAM: 4X DDR 2 (can't recall exact spec, at work)
    Chassi: Antec 900
    HD: Samsung sata 700gb

And we have the exactly same problem!!!

What's "weird" in my particular case is that this computer has been running fine all along- til yesterday! I've been given no warnings whatsoever or any indication that something is wrong in 3 months (only 3month old rig).

2 days ago I was using the computer, and shut it down, normally. Next day when about to use it again I power it on, here's what happens:

All electronics power up, every indicator LED on this mobo is green and basically saying everything is OK. I do not however get any output on my monitor, it doesn't get any signal! My keyboard does not react on LEDs like CAPSLOCK, numlock etc. I check the network contacts and they have two LEDs you know- active and link state. Both remain dead even if cable is connected to my router which is fine. It should light up on both LEDs as cable and router is OK.

It seems as computer has completely stalled or somehow failing POST. What totally sucks is that I don't have LCD display you can plug into mobo via USB for diagnostics, but if I haf to guess I guess it stopts at "cpu init".

I feel I have a decent experience and knowledge of hardware but I'm totally stunned by this scenario. I have no clue what to do _especially_ since rig has been working like a dream all along without any warnings like mentioned early.

Suddenly it just stopped working, and now just stalls at booting up. :(

What do you think dudes?

I think you should start a new thread for this.

No signal to monitor but do the hard drives spin up and do the fans start spinning?

Did you have a power outage? If so unplug the power supply for a minute or so and then plug it back in. Actually do that anyway, that often brings a stalled system back to life.

If that fails then use the clear CMOS button.

If that fails then reseat all power connections, reseat video card and ram.

If that fails then let us know.

I would make no assumptions about it being 'cpu init' or the same problem as the OP.
  27. "What do you think dudes?"
    "I think you should start a new thread for this."

lol :D

The hardrive is running, sounds normal to me, anyway surely the harddrive should not cause the rig to fail POST? Or could it..? My impression is that rig doesn't not even get near to the phase of harddrive processing.

I have about 4 chassi fans, they all spin up and light up like a disco. CPU fan is running aswell.

Every LED indicator on mobo is green and dandy. Should indicate PSU is up and running.

I'll come with an update when at home. I will strip it down to the bone and try to get rid of dust and all that. I'll try removing cmos battery and let the rig be dead for awhile before putting it back together part for part.

I decided not to make a new thread as my problem is 99% identical as OPs.

tnx for the heads up
  28. My problem was a little different. I have every light on the MB lit, green, yellow, and red, at the same time. The ASUS tech guy says they all do that if they haven't posted yet.

Also, you may have greater than BIOS 0407, or, just dumb luck your computer booted, and kept booting with an unknown CPU, that can happen.

When I called ASUS tech support, before I lost all power(after I unplugged, pushed CMOS button for 10 seconds, then plugged it back in), he was going to have me pull all my ram sticks(4X2 gig g.skill) out. How could the computer possibly boot without RAM, and what would be the reason for that??

I know that when I boot to BIOS the first time, I have to set the voltage at 2.00 or higher, but I just need to get there.
  29. Quote:
    When I called ASUS tech support, before I lost all power(after I unplugged, pushed CMOS button for 10 seconds, then plugged it back in), he was going to have me pull all my ram sticks(4X2 gig g.skill) out. How could the computer possibly boot without RAM, and what would be the reason for that??

He's trying to get information to narrow down the possible causes. For one thing bad ram, if it's bad enough, can stop a boot cold and prevent the power supply from even attempting to run. The PSU depends on getting correct signals back from the system or it will not run. If you take it out and the power supply starts up and the fans spin on the cpu this could be an indication that RAM was causing the problem. It would also tend to indicate that the PSU itself is OK and point the finger either at RAM or elsewhere on the MOBO.

Both of you guys are making too many assumptions.

There are many kinds of problems that can cause a failed POST. The exact symptoms you get (nothing at all, fans spinning, lights on? etc.) give you clues as to what is causing the problem.

jonra, if you start a new thread your problem will get the attention it deserves, that is the reason I suggested it. So far you got me and iflyems thinking about it and since iflyems is waiting for new parts this thread is not likely to be very active until he resumes work. If you start a new one you will get a lot of responses and ideas.
  30. IT'S ALIVE!!!!!
    Booted right up to the BIOS, and luckily I had 0408, and everything worked fine. I've since updated the BIOS to 0601, and am currently installing Vista64.
  31. I'm glad its "alive" for you!!! thats up there for the best feeling in the world.
  32. iflyems said:
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!!
    Booted right up to the BIOS, and luckily I had 0408, and everything worked fine. I've since updated the BIOS to 0601, and am currently installing Vista64.

Cool, so it came with 0408? Well sending it back was the best move then after all. Cheers.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build CPUs Systems