Amd phenom 2, x 4 quad core 920 + asus m3n-ht

G

this is my second built pc, i am experiencing probs with booting up. i have took all non essensial connections out and left in monitor on motherboard connection i have a pcu 850 watt connected with one 2gb and internal speaker, when trying to boot up all i get is all the fans running the onboard green led is lit but no monitor or beeps from speaker, the pc keeps rebooting every 10-15 seconds but nothing on mo-board. i have checked everything twicw and had a friend over to take a look and he is stumped.

hugostv

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I had the same problem.
At first I had my older 9850 phenom quad cpu and a m3a motherboard.
Now i put phenom 2 x4 940 on m3n ht and all the connections are right but just not gettin to POST.
I put my older 9850 phenom on that m3n ht and it worked just fine. At first I thought 940 is fried, but before returning it, I tried to replace memory. I had 2 x 2g DDR2 corsair 1066. When i put one in a slot, it worked. So I tried putting another memory module in different slots, it wouldnt work for some reason. Then I put it in different places and tried rebooting, noting that one would work, while 2 wouldn't. So this led me to conclusion that it is memory related issue. I heard someone saying that phenom 2 are picky with memory and also something with memory management on m3n ht. While I am not sure what caused it, it solved the problem though.
Now it is working and booting just fine. However I have 2 memory modules in opposite slots, which may be problematic, since i had problems with that in the past with am3 mobo.
However, once I finished booting, OS loaded into my x64 xp, and stopped with a message saying that my hive is corrupt. So now I am reinstalling OS.
PS: If you push power button and it doesnt load, sometimes pressing on the reset switch helps to bring the system back.
Maybe that helps

DRJTower

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Thanks hugostv!! I had a similar problem and found that I had the same problem with my ram. I have 4x1gb of DDR2 800 but it doesn't post with that set up, I had to remove two chips to get it to boot. Will a bios update fix this? , or will I have to buy new ram?

hugostv

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I dont think you would have to buy new ram. BIOS update may be needed, but I see similar problems with it.So what I think may fix this is if you try to use 1 memory module at a ttime. Try to boot; then if nothing happens, just press reset and wait a few seconds. If that fails, try to move that memory module to a different slot, and dont forget to reset CMOS- that helps too. Then if all works, add a second memory module- move it around and see if that helps.
That's what I did. Eventually, I have all 4 slots with 2x2g DDR2 pc8500 from 2 different manufacturers (OCZ and Corsair). After that, occasionally it wouldn't POST, but hitting reset button would get it all running.
I am in the stage where I am trying to overclock the system. And I notice that I cannot get the memory to work at 1066 like it should. Changing memory voltage also fails. But I just changed FSB and it seems like it's working- theoretically I can get the memory to change frequency along with FSB if 1066 option fails.