Sign in with
Your question

Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB squeals - should I worry?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Spinpoint
  • Samsung
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 25, 2010 7:43:29 PM

I built a system about 18 months ago with a Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Internal SATA HDD HD103UJ. It has recently developed an occasional squeal. The sound is like when someone runs their finger around the rim of a wine glass but higher pitched (about a G on the top string of a guitar). It lasts about half a second. It isn't very loud but loud enough to make me worried.

The noise is more frequent with heavy disk usage: about once every couple of minutes when defragmenting and maybe once every half hour when browsing the internet. I have an external hard drive to keep a backup and very important files are kept on a usb stick, on my work computer and on Microsoft Skydrive.

Are there any diagnostics beyond ScanDisk that I can do on the drive? Samsung has a DOS disk scanning tool but it can only run as a boot disk from a 1.44MB floppy. I don't have a floppy drive. Does anyone bother with them these days? Why can't it run of a USB stick or a CD?

I guess I want to know. Is there anything I can do about this? The sound doesn't bother me. However, should I be expecting the drive to fail? Is it worth me buying a new drive in advance in case it does fail or is the risk not that high?

More about : samsung spinpoint 1tb squeals worry

a b G Storage
April 25, 2010 9:35:01 PM

With good backup, I personally wouldn't buy another drive in advance, unless uptime is critical. A noise from a mechanical device like an HD is a little worrisome. I assume the drive isn't still under warranty?
April 27, 2010 10:46:30 AM

The drive is over a year old so I think that it won't be under warranty any more. It wouldn't be a big problem for the drive to go down I can replace it quickly enough.

I've seen that despite saying you need to run it off a floppy disk the Samsung disk scanning utility can be run off a CD. Hopefully, that will tell me if there is any damage.

Thanks
April 27, 2010 12:17:45 PM

You can check with Samsung's site whether your drive is still under warranty or not, some drives have a 3 year warranty period. To test your HD you can download the Ultimate Boot CD which includes a plethora of free tools to test your HD without the need to use a floppy disk/drive.
!