Sign in with
Your question

4870 x2 performing horribly

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2008 11:43:16 AM

alright i know that my graphics card is supposed to run crysis, full screen, 8x AA, very high all settings but with a strange clock problem i can only get 15 fps max at all very high. so i have been running it at all low and med for good rates. in catalyst control my card shows up as 1 core at 507/500 and the other at 780/900 i have tried overdrive and it only works if i could get anything to run fullscreen. because of some strange setting that i can't change my cards never clock right they are stuck on the 2d and 3d speed when i want them both at 780/900 so that i can get my full speed, or at least something that i paid for. i think my monitor might be too small, i found info telling my that i needed a bigger monitor so i bought one, will post when i get it. but is there any way that i can fix this problem. i have tried reinstalling vista, using the 8.8 beta's now i'm on the 8.11 drivers and still i get the same results in crysis all the time. i'm really confused by this but i'm not the only one with this problem, other people using vista 64 and less than 24" monitors are having these problems. but i havn't found somebody saying that a 24" didn't work or that vista 32 didn't work. so i would like to know if anybody has a solution to this. i hear that ati tray tools is a good option but whenever i boot with the drivers disabled, as soon as tray tools comes up my computer goes black screen of death, it's not dead but i can't do anything.
every app in fullscreen except sauerbraten crashes almost immidiatly, and this happens with both cards. (yes i have two 4870 x2's) only one is in so i can just test with one card untill i get this fixed.
a c 91 U Graphics card
December 12, 2008 11:55:47 AM

System specs and POWER supply being used ?
December 12, 2008 12:04:48 PM

sorry i forgot to include them
1200 watt silverstone zeus
asus m3a79-t deluxe (flashed to newest)
phenom 9950 oc'd to 3.0 ghz(15x multiplier)
16g Gskill ddr2 800mhz(motherboard underclocked to 400, had to oc to 800)
old cd/dvd drives
fans(120cfm)
ninja 2 heatsink
8.11 drivers
2x 4870 x2

i don't think i'm not including anything
Related resources
December 12, 2008 12:05:34 PM

oh yeah and old 19" crt gateway monitor
and an abs monolith case
a c 79 U Graphics card
December 12, 2008 1:01:17 PM

for starters the 4870x2 only uses one core in windowed mode, so full screen crashes might be some how power related.
and there has been some wierd behaviour with the clocks not properly switching to the higher 3d mode, starting and exiting the 3d app(game w/e) couple of times seems to 'fix' it for a while in some cases...

also the 8.12 drivers are out, might be worth it to try them as well
December 12, 2008 3:02:35 PM

Dude, have you made a call to the VC OEM tech support? They might be your best source to getting everything squared away. I'm not sure what you are saying about the MB under/over clocking. Have you made any drastic changes to the mb or mem setting in the bios? For starters try running the system at default settings. It is also not clear if you are using vista 64 or 32 bit. Try re-downloading the 8.12 cat drivers insuring that the correct OS is selected. Also install and use driver cleaner in safe mode to clear out the old software and settings. ATI drivers prior to 8.11 and 8.12 needed a hot fix to work well 8.10 might have been the first complete solution I can't remember, but try the 8.12 and insure that the home/office desk power setting is selected in power options in control panel. Silly to ask I know but do you have a 6 point and a 8 point power connectors connected to the card? One thing that you didn't tell us is generally how is the system running? Besides Crysis not running up to preceptions. Run 3Dmark06 and tell us what you get.
December 12, 2008 3:19:33 PM

1dude1 said:
sorry i forgot to include them
1200 watt silverstone zeus
asus m3a79-t deluxe (flashed to newest)
phenom 9950 oc'd to 3.0 ghz(15x multiplier)
16g Gskill ddr2 800mhz(motherboard underclocked to 400, had to oc to 800)
old cd/dvd drives
fans(120cfm)
ninja 2 heatsink
8.11 drivers
2x 4870 x2

i don't think i'm not including anything

Reset your motherboard and video card to factory defaults. Then run crysis and get your fps. My first suspicion is that your overclocking has screwed something up. Also, use utilities to gauge your temps. if your overclocking is generating too much heat or your components are not being cooled properly (like a loose heatsink), it will cause crashes the second you stress anything. Btw, what resolution are you running at?

So reset everything to factory defaults. Get your temps. Fix your crashing problem first. Then get your fps for crysis. If you are running at 1920x1200 at 4xAA and 8xAF, don't expect more than 20fps on a single 4870X2 card unless you are watercooling and *properly* overclocking. Your hardware choices may also be limiting your fps. Such as the phenom processor instead of a higher end intel core 2 duo or core i7, also the memory. These days 800mhz is getting on the slow side. Standard now (imo) for gaming machines is 1333-1600mhz, but you'd have to have the proper hardware to support that.

Lastly, you really have to be careful about setting up power supplies. They are not just plug and play anymore. Specifically, that silverstone model has to be configured for single rail mode and multi rail mode. It comes in multirail mode by default and if you are using only one of your 4870X2's right now it my be tripping the OCP and causing crashes. So read your manual, and set it up right :p 

So in the end it could be any of the above thats causing your problems. Again, reset everything to factory defaults, setup your power supply properly, make sure to look at your temps to verify they are getting cooled properly, and try again :)  If you do get everything to work properly and no crashing, then you can start overclocking *SLOWLY* in increments. Not giant steps. One at a time, rerun tests to make sure they are stable, then increment again.

"The Zeus 1200W is the first Silverstone power supply to incorporate the option to switch between multiple 17A +12V rails and a single 95A +12V rail. Previously, we have seen this type of option on some Topower-built power supplies in the form of active rail switching (on the Mushkin XP650) and user-controlled rail switching (Tagan 2-Force II). Silverstone goes about it in pretty much the same fashion by making the selection between single and multiple rails user selectable. It should also be mentioned again that the Zeus 1200W comes with the rails in multi-rail mode by default."
December 12, 2008 5:56:50 PM

Quote:
DDR2800 IS NOT 800MHZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DDR2800 means it runs at 400mhz, that is why i asked if he overclocked it to 800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Also, you have no idea what a "standard" is.

Also, whilst he shouldn't expect massive FPS, you can easily get 20-30fps with those settings and a single 4870x2, turst me on this.

You are doing more harm than good if you post wrong info.

What the hell is your problem? I'm trying to help the guy and all you do is post nasty response. I'm fully aware that his ddr2 memory is not 800mhz but instead technically i/o bus clock for his ddr2 memory is 400mhz which is double pumped into 800. None of my information is incorrect.

Whatever, after looking at your other posts and useless nasty responses it looks like you left a stick in your ass. My standards are obviously way higher than yours, but thats to be expected because you're a prick. You're the one posting information that is useless. I don't need to respond any further to you.
December 12, 2008 6:47:50 PM

i have been working on this for since the cards came out. they appeared on newegg. alright it seems like there is confusion with my mb. i read the whole manual and there is no explination to why it underclocked my 800mhz ram to 400 but thats what i was told to do is get it up to clock manually. i even had to change ram from my 4 x 2gb 1066 to 4x4gb 800 because my mb would automaticaly downgrade my 8gb 1066 to 800. it supports 4 sticks at 800 and 2 at 1066. i can remove 2 if i wanted higher clocks but i don't need them.
i don't want these harsh responces to people trying to help. there is no way i can mess it up more without my cure all fix working. reinstall vista. i have had my problems with my processor oc'd and not oc'd. i know that my processor and ram are working fine. but yeah i know that i should get 30fps min in crysis on my card all high settings. it's the worlds fastest single slot solution at the moment, and i have 2. when they are both plugged in i get the same fps. so there is something wrong. my driver also underclocks my cards to a 2d setting to save power (450 watt max on load) and i can't get it out of 2d settings i know this is my problem.

i'm running at very low 1280x1024 i think that it will work better at 1900x1200, because thats the res where i don't see problems with this card.
i'm running 64bit vista and it's the one that is having problems with my driver.
everytime a game crashes i get an error, driver crashed and has recovered. sometimes it takes my whole system down with it. it is my driver or my motherboard, everything else i have tested. ram with the memtest on linux live cd for ubuntu. cpu with passmark, psu with psutester from newegg, fans because they spin, heatsink because it cools. my motherboard and vga are the 2 things i havn't seen in a tried and true test.

thanks for the responce
but before i oc'd i got the same problems so i know that it's not that.

strangestranger i'm sorry but there was no help at all in the messages you left only rude criticism, so i will ignore you since i know what i'm doing in that area. and i did research for weeks before buying so all my parts should work. and you don't know what your talking about
"

strangestranger wrote :

Quote :

alright i know that my graphics card is supposed to run crysis, full screen, 8x AA, very high all settings

That was your first mistake, high expectations.

Also, please, please tell me you didn't actually do this
Quote :

motherboard underclocked to 400, had to oc to 800

"yes it's 800mhz ram, i already said that read harder before yelling"

It really looks like you need to do more research before investing so much cash.
"what else am i going to invest in? and i did a ton of research"

Seriously now.
"just shut up you sound really dumb like you just got a profile and are trying to make fun of people without actually knowing anything yourself"

Fixed quoting
"
i think that ddr2 is fine for gaming i can oc it past what it is but i see no need to right now. i could easily get 1066 if i only used 2 slots. but when i need it i will. i think that it is my motherboard or my card or my driver.

ok to clear up confusion with my ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

so i got it working as it should be

only one core in windowed mode you say? i believe you because it feels like an underclocked 4870 or about a 4850.

i have all the pins plugged in i checked every one of them to make sure that the one being plugged in was the one meant to go there by shape, and the right pci connector. the system is running amazingly other than anything intense graphics. i have had every program that i could possibly have open. and there was no slowing down or glitching i was even able to run crysis alongside all of them with the same strange low fps. so i know that it is a graphical error, everything else works amazingly. boot time is 30 secs from when i hit power. resume is instantaneous. linux has no trouble except i can't game with it, even my card runs well. so i'm just really confused as to why my card doesn't work well in windows on anything intense.

thanks for all the help you guys
December 12, 2008 7:31:52 PM

so then a total of 800 mhz
found of gskill's site
PC2-6400 (800MHz)
quad fire does mean i will get more fps. thats what it's meant for. thats like saying i have 1 core and my computer is no faster with 2 cores. then why did we evolve computers to have more than one core. faster data transfer and higher performance. same fps doesn't mean higher performance it means the same performance. so 1 4870 doesn't = same frame rates as 4 4870's. i know your wrong.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/12/amd-dubs-hd-4870-x2-...
compare the 4870x2 with the 4870x2 crossfire, there are more fps. your wrong

and i won't listen to you because your a troll
also you have ddr2 800 so instead of being rude why not be nice. you even have a 4870x2. you could be helpful or you could leave this thread please.
and people get 160 fps with my card and the i7 so i know that 30 is easy it should be around 50 or 60 easy with both cards. if you don't know what your talking about don't post. i just want a fix not to be told that my system won't work even when i'm on it right now.
December 12, 2008 10:32:07 PM

1dude1 said:
so then a total of 800 mhz
found of gskill's site
PC2-6400 (800MHz)
quad fire does mean i will get more fps. thats what it's meant for. thats like saying i have 1 core and my computer is no faster with 2 cores. then why did we evolve computers to have more than one core. faster data transfer and higher performance. same fps doesn't mean higher performance it means the same performance. so 1 4870 doesn't = same frame rates as 4 4870's. i know your wrong.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/12/amd-dubs-hd-4870-x2-...
compare the 4870x2 with the 4870x2 crossfire, there are more fps. your wrong

and i won't listen to you because your a troll
also you have ddr2 800 so instead of being rude why not be nice. you even have a 4870x2. you could be helpful or you could leave this thread please.
and people get 160 fps with my card and the i7 so i know that 30 is easy it should be around 50 or 60 easy with both cards. if you don't know what your talking about don't post. i just want a fix not to be told that my system won't work even when i'm on it right now.

lol, /agree with everything you said. I am excited for you when you get both cards working. If you take a look at Tom's Hardware charts, (though I don't know the hardware they used), they only got 20fps at that resolution and settings with just one of those cards. Thats why I said I wouldn't except much higher than that running on stock speeds. If you search through extreme overclocker's forums, you can see people with core i7's and one 4870x2 reaching 30fps. If you run crossfire with those cards, it averages 40-50fps. Now if you watercool your computers and overclock, I've seen people surpassing 80fps in crysis at those settings. That tells me scaling is just fine with dual 4870x2s. I think that may have been a smooth creations pc that got the 80+fps in benchmark tests. Can't remember. You can browse around yourself if you'd like.

Getting back to your system, did I read that your running these tests in windowed mode?? My guess would be that is really hurting your framerate right there. In windowed mode you have two different applications taking control of your gpu output, one for the windows desktop and one for crysis. I don't know what actually happens with the hardware here, but if you think only one core is running, then use ATI's utility or GPUz or something to look at your GPU temps. If one of them is way hotter than the other while your gaming, well thats your answer then - don't run it in windowed mode. But you said your getting errors when you run in fullscreen? Not too sure whats going on there. Did you take a look at your power supply yet to make sure you are running in single rail mode? You know, you could always pop that 2nd card in now and run tests. If all of the sudden it magically works and you're getting 50-60fps and not crashing, well that that solves yet. Long shot, but give it a try. Again, I forget what drivers you are using, but I think I read somewhere else that you need the latest beta drivers with x64 as other people have been having problems too if they arent running the latest drivers. Hope any of that helps.
a c 79 U Graphics card
December 12, 2008 10:32:36 PM

WTF is it with newbies these days??
December 13, 2008 1:02:41 AM

there are some people that have gotten 160 fps in crysis my friend was showing me the page i don't remember the hardware they used.

but yeah i didn't come on here to be told that my ram isn't working i came on to figure out what was wrong with my cards and since i didn't get any help whatsoever about it and was only told that my ram wasn't 800mhz when it is. even if i did change the speed to 800 mhz it works now so why did that matter at all. i just want to know what to do

this is my 3rd post like this, i have been asked tons of ?'s and nobody knows whats up. amd just says to wait.

"WTF is it with newbies these days??"
i'm no newbie. i have used linux for 3 years and tried about 40 distros, learned the terminal, learned how to code(a little) set up drivers, manually configure display settings, manually partition a hd, install gentoo, yada yada yada, i know whats up with computers, the non graphical side, AKA windows vista., so i asked a question and was being told stuff i already knew.

i don't know where i saw the 160 fps but i'm trying to find it again and will post that

but yeah i'm just upset that i can't even run low res right now without my driver crashing and taking my whole comp with it. i'm going to do a fresh install of vista once i beet this level in crysis, then i'll try the new 8.12 drivers again. i'll throw in my 2nd card when i reinstall, and how big of a difference does it make if it's not on the single rail? because i don't think it is. but its a big pain to change, well not big but i'm kinda lazy and i just want to game, thats why i spent $1000 on graphics. but yeah thanks for the helpful responce
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2008 1:49:26 AM

More like WTF with forum veterans that should be a little more helpful and a little less obnoxious with their obviously superior knowledge.

And strangestranger DDR2 800 for all intents and purposes runs at 800 Mhz. Nitpick over double-data-rate trivialities all you want.

Jackass. I'm so done with these forums. Never seen a bigger lot of self-important tools in all my years of visiting hardware forums. Moderation must be non-existent here.
December 13, 2008 2:33:08 AM

yeah i agree. i used to love posting in online forums, i think linuxquestions is still a great site but unfortunately i had to venture out of those realms. i was expecting people to be cool to newbies because even the smartest of the smart were once babies that couldn't even talk. and then some treat the people who havn't gained the knowledge they have, with disrespect and just plain being rude when they one day had to learn it themselves. all i did was ask a question and now it's lead to this. i don't like having to argue points i just want pointers to assist me in my quest of knowledge.
December 13, 2008 2:34:56 AM

1dude1 said:

but yeah i'm just upset that i can't even run low res right now without my driver crashing and taking my whole comp with it. i'm going to do a fresh install of vista once i beet this level in crysis, then i'll try the new 8.12 drivers again. i'll throw in my 2nd card when i reinstall, and how big of a difference does it make if it's not on the single rail? because i don't think it is. but its a big pain to change, well not big but i'm kinda lazy and i just want to game, thats why i spent $1000 on graphics. but yeah thanks for the helpful responce

Hey dude. I'm just trying to help any way I can. I've been building pcs for almost 20 years. I know the feeling when you get stuck on something that doesn't make sense.

Fyi, here is the manual on that power supply: http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/Manual/EN-ZU1200M-Manual.pdf
and here is an easy 1 page doc on how to switch to single rail mode: http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/ZM1200-12V.pdf

Ok, so here's the deal with the power supply. Like I said before, that power supply comes in multi-rail mode by default. Each of the 6 rails can output a MAXIMUM of 12V at 17amps. 12Vx17amps = 204watts. I believe this is your system's problem. Power supply manufacturers tout this 'multi-rail' design but in reality the future is in single rails. Multi-rail designs are supposed to be safer and stuff, etc etc, but in the case like this your power is actually being restricted. Multi-rail mode power supplies (imo) have hit their limits in todays market. With graphics cards being so powerful these days multi-rail designed power supplies actually are bad for enthusiast pcs with powerful video cards (unless you can switch them to single rail mode, which you can in this case).

So the problem is that the power is stuck, ie limited, onto each rail and doesn't get transferred to the other rails if it isn't being used. This means that your 4870X2 is getting a MAXIMUM of 204watts. When you switch it to single rail mode on that power supply, then any device connected can pull as much power as it wants up to a total combined maximum of 95A. that means your 4870x2 can use up 1140watts if it needs to (which it will when you put the 2nd card into the box). You need to switch it to single rail mode because your video card isnt getting enough power. Plus multi-rail mode designs often cause system instability issues if one rail pulls a lot more power than the other rails (your fullscreen problem fits this, as when your 4870 pulls a lot of power on that one rail it cause instability and crashes).

Give that a shot and let me know how it goes!! :) 

a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2008 2:55:21 AM

I can get 160fps in crysis. It's called 800x600 low detail.

Seriously, crysis is a system killer. Especially with 8x AA. My system (core i7 965, 6GB RAM, 4870x2) pulls playable but hardly great framerates at 1920x1200 very high, no AA, as well as 1680x1050 4xAA. I can't get smooth gameplay at 8xAA until either the resolution is dropped to 1440x900 or the settings are dropped to a mixture of medium and high at 1920x1200. Crossfire will improve this slightly, but not tremendously, as Crysis has never worked amazingly with ATI cards. Also, the Phenom (why on earth would you use a Phenom on a build with this much money everywhere else?) is not the best choice, and you would probably get higher framerates with either a core 2 quad or a core i7 at 3.5GHz or more.

Of course, if you really wanted to run crysis, what you should have bought in the first place was 3 GTX 280s and a Core i7 920, and then overclocked it to about 3.5GHz or so. Crysis scales absolutely beautifully on GTX 280 SLI on an i7, and would be over 50fps on 1920x1200 very high (no AA), probably allowing for some significant AA addition before it would have problems.

Finally, make sure you're running the 64 bit crysis - it seems to give me slightly higher framerates than the 32 bit version (about 2-3fps by FRAPS at 1920x1200, very high, no AA).
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2008 5:53:21 PM

Quote:
You can call it effectively 800 if you want but it doesn't change the fact that the actual clock, which i am sure you know fine and well is 400mhz.

The problem is that the OP, does not realise this and won't listen. He has overlcoked his ram by 100% to get it to an actual clock of 800 or so he says.

That mean he is now running DDr2-1600 with DDR2-800 ram!!!!!.

Unlikely. Most BIOSes that I've seen show the effective clock, not the actual clock when setting RAM speed. Besides, it would never boot at 1600MHz. You're making way to much of a deal about this.

Besides, even though the clock speed of DDR2-800 is 400MHz, it is true that 800MHz is a perfectly good way of describing it. Hz is just the number of times that something occurs per second, and DDR2-800 transfers data 800 million times per second, even if the reference clock is only half of that. Stop making such a big deal over such a minor nitpick.
December 13, 2008 8:03:55 PM

Well, instead of arguing about RAM settings, let's check them to see what they're really at.

OP: Download CPU-Z (Link is in the upper left hand corner) and then run it once it's on your hard drive. Check the 'Memory' tab and then look for a field called DRAM frequency. This is the base frequency of your RAM before the frequency doubling thing is factored in. If it says 400 Mhz, then your RAM is configured correctly and we can move on to other things. If it says 800 Mhz, then you have double clocked your RAM and that is a huge cause for concern. Personally, I'd be surprised if it even booted at that speed, but stranger things have happened.

As far as your motherboard underclocking your 1066 mhz ram, that's normal. 800 mhz is the highest official standard for memory speeds - anything higher is an unofficial overclock. 1066 Mhz RAM is basically the manufacturer saying "this RAM can do up to 1066 Mhz" but your motherboard can't assume that so it stops at 800 Mhz until you tell it to go beyond that.
December 13, 2008 10:00:34 PM

Quote:
It is not a minor nitpick, this guy is having problems and yet he is messing with settings that he doesn't even understand.

As i have said, describe it as effectively 800mhz but make sure it is understood that ddr2 800 is not meant to run at 800mhz.

This is a major point here in helping the OP understand.

By making a post like that you are help these two reinforce their ill informed views.

To summarise, if he is having issues, he should be running everything at stock, not screwing around.

Indeed, if he had any resemblance of intelligence, he would look up info on computers, which he clearly has not done to find out how things work before tinkering.

You can't spell correctly in any of your posts. You can't even form full sentences without huge grammatical errors. This tells me you're probably some cocky 13yr old who thinks that they know their **** when they don't. You shouldn't be participating in any of these forums if you don't have anything positive to say that helps the OP's with their computer problems.
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2008 10:25:50 PM

Well, if thats the case, he sure knew his stuff at 10 heheh
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2008 12:01:22 AM

Quote:
It is not a minor nitpick, this guy is having problems and yet he is messing with settings that he doesn't even understand.

As i have said, describe it as effectively 800mhz but make sure it is understood that ddr2 800 is not meant to run at 800mhz.

This is a major point here in helping the OP understand.

By making a post like that you are help these two reinforce their ill informed views.

To summarise, if he is having issues, he should be running everything at stock, not screwing around.

Indeed, if he had any resemblance of intelligence, he would look up info on computers, which he clearly has not done to find out how things work before tinkering.

If it boots, he has it set to 800MHz. That's 800 million transfers per second, not 800MHz base clock. If he had it set to an 800MHz base clock, it would not boot. It really is that simple, unless you've ever seen DDR2 that could pull off 1600MHz data transfer rate.

And yes, it really is a minor nitpick.
December 14, 2008 12:09:32 AM

It is DDR21066, and if it is good DDR21066, and if it is defaulting to high latency, it is conceivable that it could boot at 1600 and cause crashes like the OP is experiencing.

Edit: spelling/readability

Re-Edit: more spelling/readability
December 14, 2008 6:36:58 PM

Also in your bios make sure that your agp is set to 18x. as for the ram, ive had boards set the clocks to 400 when i have one or 3 sticks of ddr 800 in(as they should), and not set it to 800 when i put another stick in. his ram clocks are obviously right, or his system wouldnt boot.

I know this may seem obvious, but make shure the cards are set in cross fire mode in the ati settings thing(or whatever its called, im an nvidia guy). Just plugging the cards in and connecting them will NOT set them in to cross fire mode.
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2008 6:51:52 PM

Quote:
Well, despite the fact that the OP and others apparantly hve no idea how DDR ram works, and also CJL it would be 800MT/s not Mhz.

You realize that all that Hz means is the number of times that something, anything, occurs every second. 800 MT/s is more specific, but 800MHz is perfectly correct. It isn't describing the base clock in this case, but it is describing the transfer rate.
December 14, 2008 7:01:26 PM

oh yes 16x pcie-e (im still stuck in 2002). As for the Ram, STOP ARGUING! oh and 1dude1 your screen size has nothing to do with your fps, though get a better screen anyways, Its kinda funny that you have that 5,000$ computer hooked up to an 18 inch crt :) 

(really check to see if the cards are set to crossfire)

And if all else fails, ill be happy to have your "defective" computer :p 
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2008 8:50:30 PM

First off, theres been some compatibility problems with 64 bit OS. May need a new bios for your mobo, may need newer drivers from ATI.

Im wondering, did the OP say he gets 2D core speeds in games? or bad clocks (uneven) in 2D? The 8.12 driver resolves this issue as well.

Now, these are just a few observations Ive picked up on reading about ATI cardas and drivers, their OS usage in certain OS's. If the OP would explain better what he means about 2D vs 3D card ops, itd be good to know. If the OP reaslly wants to research, Id suggest he/she start with the Cat 8.12 drivers, then go from there, check for bios updates etc. After the OP does this, come back with any problems he/she may still have
December 15, 2008 4:34:51 AM

yeah i think it's the rail. but strangestranger really stop argueing i'm only laughing. my mb had auto settings that changed it to 400mhz i did check, stop telling me i'm dumb and didn't. if you can't drop this ram thing don't worry i already did. i decided just to not mess with my settings because, arghh i can't remember the spelling, it set it to an auto, also when i have the choice of setting my ram to 400 or 800 or 1066 i'm pretty damn sure that i'm not way ocing my ram by putting it on the 800 setting, shut up and don't post another message untill you look up the manual on my mb then you can continue argueing.

i got riva tuner to work finally and have been checking my clockspeeds with gpuz and the rivatuner monitor. havn't tested out my 8.12 drivers more than just donating computer power. folding at home is fun!!. my gpu's max load that i have seen after i got both folding@home and world community grid running, is 75% gpu1, and gpu 2,3,4 at 25% but i think thats a bottleneck issue because the world community grid uses my cpu a lot and folding at home uses my gpu's.

i'm happy to be getting a new monitor though. even though i just stole my parents 22" apple hd monitor. still can't wait for mine.

if you want to give me 5000 for it i will gladly send it down. then i can get one just like it but with ddr3 and i7 and 2 4870x2's. please send me a free upgrade.

i get solely 2d clock speeds when in games, though havn't tried anything yet with rivatuner because it's too late here but will tomorrow. thanks for all the posts you guys.

but yeah what annoyed me was how i was getting in low low low settings crysis i was getting 30fps or less. then the whole game would freeze after about 5 min even with the fan speed set at 100% sometimes it would kill my system. but like i said i havn't tried crysis yet on this installation.

but yeah i will totally try the single rail because that seems to fit my problem. but i already had this same psu and had to switch the rails because my comp would boot, hooray rma, i didn't change this one because it worked, so i thought. but the manual says that you can just flip a switch from the outside, they lie. you have to take the whole thing out, take it apart, remove all the warranty void if removed stickers(their a pain), then find something small enough to flip the switch thats why i'm lazy.

thank you guys much except strangestranger, you keep dragging this thread towards my working ram. even if it was working at 800 base wouldn't you be praising my computer for being a stable comp with 800 base ddr2 ram. it only crashes in games, my ram is fine.I'M NOT A COMPLETE NOOB, i'm just new to this site and my cards. your getting misinformation from somewhere about me, not this thread.... What rumors have you heard about me? tell me now! why do you keep thinking i'm really dumb, and closeminded, and dumb, and dumber, and irrational, and dumb, and uncareful, and not researching anything? this post was my last resort. i have been researching for about 1.5 months, i didn't think my psu was the problem. get off this site prick, stop trying to help me, there are plenty others willing to be nice and not pricks.

again thanks you guys(strangestranger excluded)
December 15, 2008 6:23:27 AM

At first I thought this thread was about a graphics card. So I was about to post something about gddr2 not being related to ddr2 and per chance noticed (between the horrible use of spelling and grammar) that it was plain ddr2.

DDR2800 runs at 200mhz. I/O bus is 400mhz and the effective data transfer /s is 800 million, seeing that data is handled on the rising and falling edge. So for mathematical and marketing purposes you can assume 800mhz transfer but looking at Hz, it still runs 200mhz internally and 400mhz I/O because it goes both ways. It does transfers close to 800mhz, but due to latency this is not an absolute figure hence the use of the term data transfers per second @ 800mil give or take.

And I don't blame SS, if you gonna post something to someone make sure you post factual. The forum veterans aren't here to teach people how to use their brains and make use of the internet to become factual and in some cases semi literate.
December 15, 2008 7:09:51 AM

Isn't 8xAA a bit of overkill on a CRT? Turning that down to 4x or 2x will probably help your frame rates a lot.
December 15, 2008 7:24:11 AM

1dude1 said:
then the whole game would freeze after about 5 min even with the fan speed set at 100% sometimes it would kill my system.

It might have helped if you'd mentioned that earlier. Sounds like heat might be a problem. Have you checked your system temps at load and idle?
December 15, 2008 7:42:44 AM

well no wonder! how can two cores scale well on a low res like that??? insane!

epic confusing thread though. im not following it anymore..
December 15, 2008 10:37:21 AM

"It might have helped if you'd mentioned that earlier. Sounds like heat might be a problem. Have you checked your system temps at load and idle? "
it only started this like 2 days ago

"epic confusing thread though. im not following it anymore.. "
yes, i agree. but wait what
" well no wonder! how can two cores scale well on a low res like that??? insane!
"
shouldn't they run better on a low res. low settings and low res or do these cards run better with more things to do?

AA doesn't really affect these cards. no real noticeable difference between 8xAA and no AA. not sure what the 8xQ is but apparently that gives bad rates
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1338947
December 15, 2008 11:18:09 AM

1dude1 said:
it only started this like 2 days ago

Oooh, more new information!

Seriously, if you want people to help, you have to try and be as specific in your problem description as possible.

Are you saying that Crysis WAS running faster, and has now slowed down, OR that the games hanging after 5 minutes has only just started happening? Or both?

In any case, you still haven't posted your temps. How have you ruled out heat being an issue?
December 15, 2008 11:21:33 AM

my dram frequency is 401.3 mhz with this setting.
December 15, 2008 11:23:07 AM

alright my temps 75% fan speed, 77% load 68C and it's been running all night, folding at home
December 15, 2008 11:52:34 AM

You leave your computer running overnight to run folding? :o 
December 15, 2008 12:33:30 PM

yeah, it was a good way of testing my 2.86 ghz oc for stability. because i couldn't get it over 3.0ghz without it being unstable so i felt like instead of doing a pointless thing to test stability i felt like i could fold with my time. and yes it's stable here. woke up to find world community grid almost finished with 4 projects and the folding at home i'm guessing finished and started another, because it was at less completion than when i left it. it's something helpful that my comp can do easily, so i figured why not.
December 15, 2008 12:35:35 PM

it's not folding during gameplay to clear that up before i get people saying thats my problem. i just realized that might happen
December 15, 2008 12:38:51 PM

Heya,

Sorry to hear about that Dude.

I have a question though. What's the point of buying thousands of dollars worth of super gaming equipment if you're squinting a foot and a half away from that little 19" CRT? Super detailed Crysis just doesn't look like much at super high res on a little display like that. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of big eye candy rigs.

Maybe instead of $500 for the videocard, you should go for a nice 1080p HDTV in the 30" or better flavor?

:p 

Very best,
December 15, 2008 11:54:02 PM

ok so i changed to the single rail and it's failing more horribly than before, my system glitches, sauerbraten is glitchy and i can't even start crysis. i really don't like this i need to find somebody with a a rig that can test my cards
December 15, 2008 11:57:17 PM

i'm getting a screen, and i'm on a 22"hd right now and i'm getting the acer g24 shortly. i just would like my cards to work.
December 16, 2008 12:21:06 AM

llama man, (lol oi said i'd stay away from this thread...) two GPU's just do not scale well until you hit the 1680x1050 mark. sure you would still get lower fps... but seriously. thats EXTREME overkill for such a tiny monitor. a 8800GT would MORE than have sufficed. my 9600GT can play crysis on all High plus natural mod with 8x AA in the jungle levels! 4870X2 is just ridiculous.

fair enough if you're getting a new monitor soon.
December 16, 2008 12:48:13 AM

i was looking at monitors before but i didn't have funds to buy them. then i got my setup and now i'm just waiting for my monitor. they deliver it day before christmas eve. it's my christmas present. por yo. porque yo me gusta televisiones bueno, muy bueno. i forgot how to say monitor in spanish. but yeah i really wanted a setup that could kill. and now i've got a monitor on the way to harness it.

still having my fullscreen problem but windowed mode is working fine at all high settings everything is smooth. i'm loving it so i'm going to leave it right now untill amd fixes this problem in their drivers. i hope soon. but it's totally playable now. the rail i'm guessing was part of the problem, but i'm still not getting full power

has anybody here used the atitool. not the tray tool, that didnt want to work for some reason.
December 16, 2008 1:03:11 AM

i used atitool, it got me a 50% oc on my 7600GS... unfortunately it was incompatible with 178 forcewares, so i switched to evga precision. never looked back, although imo its still a great program. more so for ati cards now.
December 16, 2008 2:00:23 AM

EDIT: oh my, i didnt see that there was a second page for this thread! :o 
glad to see your getting good fps in windowed mode. im leaving my post because there is still some stuff in here that will help, also because i dont want all my typing to go to waste :D 

Alright chap, have you played anything on this monster except for crysis? there is a reason why the intel and nvidia logos show up at the startup screen, the game is super optimised for nvidia and intel, so its probably not the best way to gauge the performance of a amd/ati system :) .

First on the rivatuner overclock screen, For both cards, set your clocks back to default and check force constant performance level.

Download this http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18999&p... your fps will be better and the game will look awesome. With it i run crysis at 1600x1200 with all very high exept for shaders and shadows and get high 20s to low 30s on my rather modest 8800gt and 2.4ghz athlon, since you have 4x the computer as me, you should probably get crazy performance :o 

If your psu is faulty DONT RUN YOUR COMPUTER WITH IT. i made the mistake of running mine on a faulty psu for a week and now ive lost a hard drive, had to replace my ram, and my cpu is dying. trust me dont screw with bad psu's. :non: 

hope at least one of those will help you :) 
December 16, 2008 2:41:03 AM

two pages? lulwut?

anyway, yeah that is kinda sad, cos im now running my crysis on Very high (XP Hack) 1400x900 with the natural mod and 8X AA. all on my single 9600GT. :lol:  so wats that 16 times less than the price of your 4870X2's... :lol: 
December 16, 2008 3:02:04 AM

Hehehe.... i built my rig for 450$ dollars and its almost outperforming a 4500$ one. (Laughs Menaically)
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2008 4:20:09 AM

1dude1 said:

AA doesn't really affect these cards. no real noticeable difference between 8xAA and no AA. not sure what the 8xQ is but apparently that gives bad rates
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1338947

First, 8xQ is an Nvidia setting.

Second, 8xAA does in fact give a pretty significant performance hit on a 4870x2. Trust me, I own one. 4x is a minor hit (~10%), and 2x is basically no hit at all.

December 16, 2008 4:53:48 AM

I can't tell the difference between no AA and 8xAA in the first few crysis levels... as in difference in performance.
!