possibly not right group but I suspect XP would prefer it to be set before
installation.

What are the advantages of STR (Suspend To Ram) (if any)?

At present I am using STR but find it is a bit too 'deep' and stops hardware
(keyboard, mouse etc) from waking the system.

Would normal (to disk?) be better?

I do 'Hibernate' after a few hours (in case I am called away).

This is a desktop system.

- R. Peters

It sounds like you are trying to set a setting in your BIOS?

In any case, I would imagine that suspend to disk would have the same effect
as hibernate.

--
Please reply in newsgroup.