Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cooler Master
  • Corsair
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
February 12, 2009 1:07:26 PM

Have a choice between a Coolermater 850W (the one they use in all the tests - including quad sli), or a 850W corsair.

Which one guys?

Thanks guys going to order today...

More about : coolermaster corsair

a c 248 ) Power supply
February 12, 2009 1:35:02 PM

Corsair consistently earns high marks in technical reviews and comparisons. The Corsair units are high quality, very stable, and reliable. Corsair and PC Power & Cooling psu's are the two most often recommended by veteran posters at this forum.
February 12, 2009 1:36:58 PM

Thanks dude, thats what I thought, just freak out when you have to make the decision. Will pick it up... Thanks
Related resources
February 12, 2009 1:47:07 PM

Corsair, PC Power&Cooling and the new models of Enermax PSUs are the best choices right now for good efficiency, low heat and low noise. (Wattage is enough on any brand).
a c 139 ) Power supply
February 12, 2009 1:54:08 PM

I haven't seen any actual reviews of the Corsair TX850 yet but the Corsair family has a better reputation than Cooler Master.
The CM 850 is made be Enhance and has had very good reviews.
Both PSUs can actually push 1000w at peak and have no problem pushing an honest 850W.
CM 850 had 64amps of +12v power over six rails and the Corsair TX850 has 70amps of +12v over a single rail.
TX850 is also a more recent design. Both have 5 year warranties.
I'd say go with the less expensive model. And if the prices are close, choose the Corsair TX850.
February 12, 2009 2:51:43 PM

My main priority is stability and quality, the only reason I am scared about he Coolermaster is if you look at the reviews on newegg, a few people had their coolermater fail and the 1000w model has mad serious failures that took out the rest of the system. Haven't seen anything like that for the Corsair. But do you guys think an 850 corsair could run at 850 consistently???
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 12, 2009 4:12:09 PM

The answer to your question is yes. However, it would help if you posted a list of your pc components and whether or not you are a hardcore gamer into serious overclocking. It's been my experience that a majority of people overestimate the amount of power they need. It happens all the time here.
February 12, 2009 4:19:59 PM

Nah, I've done tons of research, the calculator says that my set up will need ~830, but thats really pushing it... The main drain is a pair of 295s, but I'm only getting the second in the future, and when I do hook it up I will cut back on extras like USB devices, pci TV tuner etc. But people say that those calculators overestimate a bit and so if the whole set up is overestimated at 830 and with a couple of things removed is buzzing 800, it should be fine right???
a c 139 ) Power supply
February 12, 2009 7:17:59 PM

You didnt mention which calculator you were using but most of those give recommendations on the size of PSU, and not the actual DC wattage the PC system will use. So if they're recommending a 830W PSU your system is probably going to have a max draw around 650w with everything spinning up to full power.
February 12, 2009 7:20:20 PM

^^ agreed its "recommended" not what it actually draws so its probably running around 60-70% load

Go with the Corsair!!
February 12, 2009 7:43:43 PM

You should also look at the amp rating of each "rail":

some modular PSUs support 4 x +12V rails, but
each of those 4 rails has a limited amperage rating.

If you were to cable the latest PCI-E video cards
to such a PSU, they may require more amps
than each rail is capable of providing.

If my memory serves me, the Corsair 850W
uses a single +12V rail, so that limitation does not exist
with this Corsair PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Under "Specifications" find:

+3.3V@30A, +5V30A, +12V@70A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3A

Note well: 70 amps on a single +12V rail

MRFS
February 12, 2009 8:36:05 PM

Yea ur fine....when it says 830 RECOMMENDED thats not saying ur PSU is going to run 100%. Theyre saying 830 watt so ur PSU is running around 50-70% which is the sweet spot for performance and efficiency

Single vs. Multiple rails is a Minor problem and 99% of the time will have no problems with it...but theres nothing against either
February 12, 2009 10:34:11 PM

Without the efficiency graph in front of you
for any given PSU, a good rule of thumb
is to strive for 50% utilization of rated overall:

this will approach max efficiency on most PSUs
and also give you lots of room for expansion
and momentary surges e.g. during spin-up
of multiple HDDs.

Of course, if you do have the efficiency graph
in front of you, then you know where the
exact optimal point is for any given PSU.

Good luck!

MRFS
!