Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Issues with the NF-P14 fan on the Noctua D14 CPU cooler?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 22, 2010 12:59:27 AM

Recently bought a Noctua D14 CPU cooler and for some reason I cannot get the middle Noctua NF-P14 fan to spin at all. At first I thought that it may not be getting enough voltage from the board but then I connected it straight to the PSU with a 4 pin adapter and still nothing. I was basically just testing out the fans before I went to the trouble of installing it on a new build. This is the second D14 which has done this. I RMA'ed the first one because the fins on the heat sink had been slightly damaged but again the fan didn't work on that one as well, which seems odd to me. Noctua fans are very dependable, so it seems perhaps there is something that I may be missing. The other fan spins up just fine off either the board header or directly off the PSU...Any ideas? :heink: 

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2010 2:39:23 AM

That's very unusual. Since you tested by unplugging from your motherboard and connecting to your psu I would say you have a dead fan.
March 22, 2010 5:39:42 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
That's very unusual. Since you tested by unplugging from your motherboard and connecting to your psu I would say you have a dead fan.

I guesss I just dont want to believe that I could have had two of the same fans defective...on the same model flagship cooler, in a week from Noctua but since it wont power off of the PSU I guess it has to be. Second RMA in a week kinda stinks.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2010 11:32:11 AM

A thought just popped into my head. I'm wondering if there is a part on the cpu heatsink that is preventing the fan from running. Try removing the fan from the center of the cpu heatsink and testing it again.
m
l
March 23, 2010 6:20:11 PM

Yup..did that so i could test it on another board and PSU easier.
m
l
March 30, 2010 5:32:56 PM

I had issues with my nf-p14 (used as a case fan) not getting enough initial voltage from the motherboard to start. In the end, I bought a NoiseMagic NMT-3. The NoiseMagic gives a small burst of voltage at startup to make sure the fan starts spinning, then it adjusts the speed based on temperature after.

Are you using the fan with variable voltage? Maybe try constant speed?
m
l
April 11, 2010 2:17:23 AM

After a second RMA and some conversations with Noctua, I received my 3rd D-14 cooler. The fans started straight up so indeed it must have just been an issue with the fan itself. That it was the same fan on the first two units is chalked up to coincidence I guess. Noctua was very supportive, though email support turnaround time is as with almost any company... A pain in the @$$. Just happy I finally have a working cooler.
m
l
April 11, 2010 2:18:28 AM

Best answer selected by Alamosun.
m
l
!