NForce 730a Power Supply Connecting

BenDrake

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I'm building a computer for a friend and I have most of it set up but the power supply seems to not have the right connector. I put up a video here(first one in the video clips section) that shows the two connectors that will fit in it but I don't think that either of them will work because the connection has 8-pins on it. Also one of them says PCI-E on it. The power supply is 680 watts. Did I not get one powerful enough?

BenDrake

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Ok, I called EVGA support and they told me it would be fine to plug in the 4-pin connector to the 8-pin slot where it fits, as long as it's not a Quad-Core processor. Now the problem I plugged in the power supply once everything was connected, I flipped the switch and the LEDs that were supposed to come on didn't. What am I doing wrong?

msboston

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
I have EXACTLY the same problem... I plugged the 24 pin alright and the 4 pin on the mobo. I boot, I get 3 bright blue leds showing that power is here and temp reads 25 C. But then nada, nothing, no boot prompt.. it just stays there....

Are you using a Athlon XP 7750? That's what I have... If so, its a Phenom with two deactivated quad core.. this could be the issue. I will go and get a 2 molex to 8 pin converter tomorrow morning and see what happens.

I'll keep you informed.

Nic

msboston

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Alright. I got a 4 pin to 8 pin converter and no success. Started removing the RAM OCZ sticks and turned out that one of them was deffective...

So looks like the folks at EVGA were right.. 4 pins should do... check your RAM... that might be the problem.

Thanks

Nic