Partition drive(s) for multiboot

April 2, 2004 11:52:57 AM

presently I have XP home on single drive but I am adding larger drive (plus
XP Pro) and was wondering best way to partition for my use.

I want Windows 98 + Windows XP Pro (XP Home not longer used).
Prefer XP in fastest positions.
desired partitions
XP system
XP data (at least for my data, other users, if any, can go in system)
XP swap file (and temporary files?)
Windows 98

Any recommendations?
- R. Peters
Anonymous
April 2, 2004 6:19:42 PM

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 07:52:57 +1000, R. Peters wrote:

>presently I have XP home on single drive but I am adding larger drive (plus
>XP Pro) and was wondering best way to partition for my use.
>
>I want Windows 98 + Windows XP Pro (XP Home not longer used).
>Prefer XP in fastest positions.
>desired partitions
> XP system
> XP data (at least for my data, other users, if any, can go in system)
> XP swap file (and temporary files?)
> Windows 98
>
>Any recommendations?

Will you have 2 hard drives in future?
What size are the drives?
You will probably need to use Fat32 for compatibility with Win98.

On the presumption that your new hard drive will be the primary.

C: Windows 98
D: Win XP Pro.
E: Programs that you install.
F: Store downloaded stuff, music & videos, backups etc.

Put the XP swap file on C:

--
Ted
tedwish2@dodo_netspace.net.au

Old drive 40G
New drive 80G

looks like might be easiest to reformat old drive as FAT32 and use it as
master (boot) and Win98 with a partition for swapfile (and Temp ?)
Install WinXP Pro to new drive, I assume I can specify where to install it.
Partition new drive for system and my data

The articles are enlightening but concentrate on how and not why, what
options you have or what you had better have done first (although
importantly does specify installation order).
- R. Peters

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313348&Product=winxp

!