need HD experts to chime in

mengela

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
well here's the deal, I'm about to pick up a used 21" CRT monitor, its a pretty high quality one with like ridiculous resolution, 1880x1400 85Hz,2048x1536 max, got it cheap for 15 bucks. it only has VGA connection and something called DB13W3. I want to know if i bought a nicer video card, would I be able to say.... play a blu-ray disc, transmit it through the VGA cable, and display it scaled on my monitor? i say that cause the CRT is not widescreen.

and what is DB13W3 ?

Hi welcome to the forum,

Now im not an expert ....far from it but for my two cents worth i beleive the scaling issue is to do with the display but i think its a moot point anyway as Blu-Ray requires a digital signal that is protected with devices that support HDCP which VGA dosent support.

Mactronix

mengela

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
oh thanks, now i'm sure your right. could i send an HD signal out HDCP to a box or card that processes the signal and sends it through VGA. wouldnt something like this already exist?

DB13W3 is an old type connector used by some graphic workstations, which explains the high resolution, you`ve bought what was once a VERY expensive pro monitor!
As far as I know Blu-ray disc playback requires a HDCP compatable display, which yours is not, so no, no Blu-ray and no HDDVD playback on it.

No sorry as soon as it hits the VGA its then non compliant and wont work properly. Again i must stress that im not an expert on this but have seen threads where people have said that the VGA will drop it to half resolution but its nothing concrete, just hearsay.

Mactronix

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Seven year old technology, $15 is a fair deal...Get a second paper route and save up $200 for a modern 22" LCD monitor... If YOU can afford BLU-RAY...GET OUTTA HERE!!!

mengela

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
hey according the powerdvd, it plays bluray discs. i was wondering would i be able to play a hd 16:9 image inside my 4:3 monitor... i mean i keep my aspect ratio of my 4:3 monitor, keep resolution beyond 1080, and play the video "inside" the screen?

Once again, Blu-ray uses protection that prohibits playing its content on non conforming hardware and your hardware does not conform. Some discs will allow replay at reduced resolution as MACTRONIX has said, but most will not allow replay at all. If you want to play Blu-ray discs you will need to purchase a HDCP compliant display. See here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP