Sign in with
Your question

9600gt issue plz help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2008 5:40:28 PM

Hi , I recently upgraded my 8600gt to a 9600gt. Installed it ect but now when i play games i get horizontal flickering lines on dark textures. I know it isn't gpu drivers because i updated them. Im not sure if its a power issue but it shouldn't be because its a 550w which should be plenty. The additional power is plugged in correctly (2x 4pin molex to 6pin pcie).

thanks

More about : 9600gt issue plz

a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2008 5:52:54 PM

Sounds like either your GPU is overheating, or there's a driver problem. If those two aren't the issue, your GPU may be bad.

First thing I'd check is to see if the same thing happens in other games/software. It could be a drive conflict with the particular game/software.

You might try installing an older driver to see if the problem goes away. And then check your temps on the GPU.

If temps are good, different drivers don't help, power is determined not to be the issue, and the same problem appears in multiple games, you may just have a defective GPU.
Related resources
a c 91 U Graphics card
December 12, 2008 6:54:57 PM

The power supply looks like a winner...( and I don't mean that in a good way ). There were some issues with over clocked cards. Did you try and under clock it at all ? Which one do you have ?
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2008 7:17:54 PM

I'd imagine your power supply isn't helping. Not familiar with that brand, but look at its specs, they don't actually give the 12V amperage. It only says, "10A res max. for 115VAC". If it only had 10amps on the 12V rail potentially, that's not going to work for you.
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2008 7:19:16 PM

xblackskiesx said:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-96... this is the card i have. and also, how could it be the psu ? A friend of mine has the exact same psu but he has a 9800gt super plus and his works fine. and the minimum wattage for a 9600gt is 400 .

It's more about amperage than it is about wattage. You could have a 1000W power supply, but if it doesn't have enough amperage on the 12V power lines (for video card) it won't work.

Either your PSU isn't giving the video card enough power, or your video card is bad.
December 12, 2008 7:36:43 PM

damn are you sure ? Can you recommend me the cheapest psu that would be sufficient. like i say in my other post a friend has the exact same psu with a more powerful gfx except he has no issues
December 12, 2008 7:47:32 PM

It's rated for 25 A on the 12 volt rail.
a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2008 7:47:46 PM

any 500w psu from corsair/enermax/antec/ocz will do. afaik they dont sell underpowered volt-rail products.
!