Quick question regarding 4gb vs 8gb

bdearen

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hey guys just a quick question I have a 4GB kit 2x2GB dual channel sitcks. I also can buy an 8GB kit that comes with 4 x 2GB sticks I don't think this would be dual channel because I only have 4 slots on my board. My question is which would be faster? Currently when running various games ec.... I hit control alt delete and my memory is 89% used this is with the 4GB kit. Would the 8GB kit not running in dual channel even be an upgrade for me? I am on vista ultimate 64.
THANKS

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Dual versus single channel doesn't make much difference, but 4 sticks should run in dual channel.

You don't need to buy an 8GB kit, you can buy another 4GB kit identical to what you have and it will work fine.

Dreasconse

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
8GB is good if you often run over your normal 4GB, but otherwise stick with your 4GB, as you often have to reduce memory timings if you add more sticks than are in a set. Also, not good to spend more money if you don't need to.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
You answered your own queston. You have 4 slots right? So, you can get the 8Gb kit which will still use 4 x 2Gb RAM hence the dual channel. I have to question at the moment if 8Gb is worth it if you already have 4GB? I think not. However i'm building an i7 system at the moment with 6Gb only because 3Gb is only good for now but I want to make sure i'm OK for 24months. Hope that hepls.

TRENDING THREADS