Status
Not open for further replies.

doverslight

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
are the kinks out of the latest ms update yet the sp 3? Im really scared of this as i have hears and read so many negative pc problems after the update is installed. thanks in advance for you help and suggestions.

Solution
I've only seen one computer have issues with SP3... but it was a computer that had issues to begin with; not SP3's fault. There's really no reason not to install it... but if you find you have issues afterward, it can be uninstalled.
It's important that you realize, you don't need the updates.
Running without the updates generally means the computer will run better, and many people turn them off permanently.
In fact the computers running without updates are far more trouble free.
Use an all in one professional antivirus, not a free security program. Usually it will continue to run fine.

SP3 has not had any updates since it was released, there is not a "new" SP3 out. There are always some compatibility issues with updates as there are thousands of different software/hardware combinations. The chances of something breaking though are very small. But if you are not having any virus issues, or other issues where you need the update, may as well leave the PC as is.

doverslight

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Thank you so much, I have a great AMD quad core phenom machine that I love and the only thing that concerns me is I would really like to keep it updated, but then again it works so good, with no issues I have almost decieded NOT to install that update, There is just one thing I need it for, it is to update my office from 2000 preminum to 2003 or higher and thanks to microsoft the only way I can do that is to update to their stupid sp3. Microsoft amazes me ,they want it ALL their way or the highway. I have xp2 with absolutely no issues accept the office 2000. wouldnt you think that Microsoft having made so much money from us all that they would consider us ever once in awhile. I woulnt mind downloading sp3 if I could just get the parts of it that I really need.
Thanks again

doverslight

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Im having no issues at all accept as I said in my other reply I would like to update my office program to a newer version and without the sp3 thats is not an option for me
Thanks so much for your response.

They come here saying you don't need anything new for XP, it works without it.
You don't "Need" Novocaine while the dentist drills on your tooth either.

SP3 is going to fix things you never even think about, but will someday.
There have been no recalls or "oops" patches for SP3...ever.
Anyone that refuses to install it is just plain stupid.

Why would anyone ever update their video drivers in that case? It works using the old driver.
Ahhh... things come along that need the new driver to work because the old driver did not handle everything the video card was capable of. Same thing for SP3.

SP3 includes optimized code for many things that "worked" but will now work better.

I've only seen one computer have issues with SP3... but it was a computer that had issues to begin with; not SP3's fault. There's really no reason not to install it... but if you find you have issues afterward, it can be uninstalled.

Solution

doverslight

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

Thank you, I guess I will post pone it as long as I can. Even though Im one for keeping things updated and in good shape, thats why Im struggling with this stupid update and will keep on enjoying my clean and great computer as long as I can do without a newer version of MS office. MS has got us by the geesters on this update, I hate that. Your answer was simple and straight to the point, Thanks so much,

Status
Not open for further replies.