Tjunction Max 100c/95c : CoreTemp/Realtemp - which?

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
RealTemp uses 100, CoreTemp uses 95 (as does HWMonitor), and my e6750 is OC'd at 3.4. now, i get 57c in CoreTemp (i like this), but get 62 in RealTemp. truth is, if 95 is correct, i'm going to slow my arctic freezer pro fan down from 85% on load.

i've seen people say CoreTemp is the best one to use, but others say RealTemp. this is a situation where 5c makes a HUGE difference, since we are talking if i slow the cpu fan down to where CoreTemp is reading 60c, then it could actually be 65c, and that is getting too hot.

thoughts?

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

What's a matter, don't you believe a TH article? :)

It doesn't matter what it is, distance to Tjmax is all you need to keep your temps safe.

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

no, in the bottom of the one i linked (the us version of the same article), they say it is inaccurate.

but coretemp and realtemp use tjunction as the standard. one is 95, the other 100, and that 5c could be costly if we are talking 62c and 67c...

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

OK, first of all the thermal spec of the E6750 is 72c Tcase. It is widely believed that the Tcase temperature is approximately 5c lower that the core temp readings, hence 67c would be approx 62c Tcase. Nothing to worry about.
Second, as I stated the DISTANCE to Tjmax won't change no matter what you set for the Tjmax (realtemp and coretemp you can set what the Tjmax is) so all you need to know is how far from the Tjmax your core temps are. 30-35c distance will give you a very comfortable and safe temperature so it really doesn't matter what the Tjmax is.

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

oh okay, i see what you are saying. most things i'm reading say you need to stay at a certain temperature, but if you don't really know what the tjunction max is, then it's hard to know what the temperature is. i get it.

yeah if i go by 62, and tjmax is 100, that is 38 as a distance to tjmax, which is safe. i guess it would just be nice if the temp monitoring programs were actually right and it wasn't such a guess.