Upgrading from a Pentium D

Fueurvn

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
I have a sony Vaio computer. It has a 2.8ghz Pentium D on an Intel P945 board. Is there a cpu out there that i can get that would be a better cpu? The Pentium D gets kinda hot and the heatsink/fan is just running fast all the time on the simplest of games.

I'm already upgrading to 2gb of ram and going from a x800 gpu to a 4350.

Have a 300 watt power supply so i'm wondering if it's going to be a problem keeping the Pentium d in there with that graphics card.

thank you for your time

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
wait....you switched from an x800 to a 4350? A 4350, as in the lowest end of ATI's current line up? If so, you just saved yourself at least 20 watts. You definitely don't need a better power supply, seeing as you're now consuming less power than before.

As for a better CPU than the Pentium D, well, it depends on what model the Vaio is. Look it up on the manufacturer's website to see what they have to say about supported CPUs.

Fueurvn

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
i checked the vaio site and they say absolutely nothing about supported CPUs. I'm guessing i could just try and dual core and it should be alright....maybe.

Fueurvn

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
i contacted a CSR from sony and they said they i couldn't upgrade my processor...

Now from a building stand point, i don't see why i can't. It's an Intel P945G board that supports Pentium 4 to Core 2 Duo. From their stand point, they don't want you to upgrade anything unless they're the ones doing it. Also they said they didn't recommend doing it. I don't know if they knew that i have built computers or if they just thought i was an average consumer.

Should I or shouldn't I?

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

If the new chip dont work you will have to replace the motherboard with a updated 945 chipset board that will take the latest line of processors.

Only later revisions on 945 chipset motherboards will support core 2 duo..

I thing as yours works on a pentium d it will proberly not work with the core2 but its up to you if you want to see if it works