Your question
Solved

PLEASE help to build GOOD water cooling system for my i7-930

Last response: in Overclocking
March 22, 2010 11:39:52 PM
a b K Overclocking
March 22, 2010 11:49:40 PM

What is this?

Do research and come back when you have a good idea of what you want.

Please don't expect all of us to make you the system. You didnt even give us a budget for Christ's sake.
m
l
March 22, 2010 11:59:56 PM

in fittings and liquid i need help
MCP655™ series 12 VDC Pumps, MCR320-QP, Apogee™ XT (Swiftech's )
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2010 3:40:40 AM

What exactly do you need help with?
What fittings to buy?
m
l
March 23, 2010 9:06:11 AM

i want to get 1/2 tubing, but i read the MCP655 has 3/8 input and 1/2 output is that true? and i hear that MCR320-QP radiator is not so good, do you have some other radiators in mind?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2010 1:26:12 PM

Please read the stick on top of this section.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2010 6:34:24 PM

The MCP655 has 1/2 fittings (stock) you can get a aftermarket top which can hold custom fittings.

If you don't have a budget. A Feser X-Changer is a good dual thickness rad.

I wouldn't go for 1/2ID tubing. Swiftech has 7/16ID tubing which fits over 1/2ID barbs very tightly. I like 3/8ID tubing because they are easier to work with but 7/16 tubing has better flow and not too stiff.

As for CPU block. The apogee XT is probably one of the better ones and inexpensive.

For fluid I would use pure distilled water (I used feser aqua double distilled water). The colored crap they sell makes a real mess when it drips anywhere. I dripped some on my memory when filling my loop, it wasn't running or anything but I had to scrub the orange off my memory lanes. Just get colored tubing if you want color.
m
l
March 23, 2010 8:42:49 PM

Is Danger Den Black Ice GTX360 good Radiator? so if i got 3/8 UV tubing, MCP655, The apogee XT ( or i can buy some thin better around 100$?)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2010 10:59:55 PM

The sticky has a lot of stuff if you don't know anything about liquid cooling. It doesn't tell you which parts are better though.

The black ice performs pretty much the same as the feser x-changer. Get which ever is cheaper.

You can't get anything better than the apogee XT at the moment. That thing beat the heat killer by 1C and it cost less.

The MCP655 has 1/2 barbs. Unless you get an aftermarket top (i have a EK top for my MCP655) you have to have some of your loop at 1/2 or 7/16ID.
m
l
March 23, 2010 11:26:24 PM

ok, what do you think? Feser XChanger Triple 120mm ( Fittings 1/4 to 1/2), the apogee XT (fittings 1/4 to 1/2),
MCP655, 7/16 tubing, MCRES Micro Revision 2 reservoir, i will make my own coolant ( Distilled Water and AF)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2010 11:30:29 PM

That would have great performance.

Just make sure your case can hold the XChanger.

The MCP655 is a strong pump. You can even add a video card to that loop no problem.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2010 11:33:14 PM

Quote:
The sticky has a lot of stuff if you don't know anything about liquid cooling. It doesn't tell you which parts are better though.

Umm... what? In the sticky:
Quote:

Tests on equipment, not reviews, truly scientific tests
XtremeSystems More rad testing
skinnee labs Host for Martins lab and some newer tests
skinnee labs Test results, very technical

Quote:

You can't get anything better than the apogee XT at the moment. That thing beat the heat killer by 1C and it cost less.

Yes, it beat the HK 3.0 HOWEVER, the HK 3.0 LC can be had for 1/2 the price of the XT for ~2-3C hit in most cases.
http://www.skinneelabs.com/i7-blocks-2.html
Given that we don't even know the specs of OP's system or his skill level in OCing I doubt he'll find much difference.

Quote:
( Distilled Water and AF)

DO NOT run Anti freeze in a loop (esp. since you don't have mixed metals). Get some PTNuke or KillCoils.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 24, 2010 6:21:53 PM

I would avoid using plastic fittings entirely.

As for the compression fittings on the apogee xt. Better if you use regular fittings. Otherwise you need to rotate the inlet which reduces performance a little.

7/16 tubin on 1/2 fittings is very tight. You should have absolutely no problem.
m
l
March 24, 2010 8:30:40 PM

how i going to support the tubing on the fittings? with the Tie Wraps
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 24, 2010 9:04:58 PM

You don't need to secure tubing on the fittings.
m
l
March 24, 2010 9:20:09 PM

thanks for your help man! do i need to get Liquid Flow Indicators?
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 24, 2010 9:56:14 PM

rofl_my_waffle said:

The black ice performs pretty much the same as the feser x-changer. Get which ever is cheaper.

The MCP655 has 1/2 barbs. Unless you get an aftermarket top (i have a EK top for my MCP655) you have to have some of your loop at 1/2 or 7/16ID.

No it doesn't If someone wanted to continually update a sticky here that would be great. Thats why I listed the stores and the real watercooling places.

If someone can't do their homework, they can buy a Dell.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 24, 2010 9:59:29 PM

Matvey. Please please please slow down. Your moving too fast, have no clue of what your looking at, what stuff is good, or even what to do when you get it at your door.

Your setting yourself up for a big big failure.

Don't come back saying it didn't work.

Slow down........
m
l
March 24, 2010 10:23:29 PM

can you give me a link were i can read some good stuff?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 24, 2010 10:26:58 PM

Conumdrum said:
Matvey. Please please please slow down. Your moving too fast, have no clue of what your looking at, what stuff is good, or even what to do when you get it at your door.

Your setting yourself up for a big big failure.

Don't come back saying it didn't work.

Slow down........

Amen!
matvey said:
can you give me a link were i can read some good stuff?

DAMN IT! I GAVE you the link in my 2nd post!!!!!!
m
l
March 24, 2010 10:31:21 PM

I did read that! what is this - "Your moving too fast, have no clue of what your looking at, what stuff is good, or even what to do when you get it at your door"
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 24, 2010 10:34:55 PM

^ Do you know how to drain a loop? How about filling? How about leak testing? Do you know how to do all of them CORRECTLY?

The reason Conumdrum said that is because you've been asking REALLY simple questions and if you read the guides you would have not needed to ask them. At the end of the day, it's your money and hardware, do as you wish.
m
l
March 24, 2010 10:44:41 PM

now i want to learn, to find what i need to buy. than i am going to learn how to drain a loop, filling,leak testing CORRECTLY.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2010 1:29:08 PM

Those parts would do fine. What are you going to do for fans? Where are you going to mount your radiator?

My case has mountings for a 3x120 radiator and I have 3 fans in an intake configuration (intake gives better performance than exhaust) and I have a fan controller with that to turn all the fans down when im not doing anything to make the system whister quiet.

Just one tip. 7/16 tubing gets on 1/2 fittings really really tight. If you have trouble getting them on. Dip the tubing in boiling water and it should slide right in.

Im sure you would figure out the drain/fill part on your own because I did. Really it is done exactly how it looks. As for testing make sure all your barbs are really tight and when you install the tubing, make sure the tubing as the lowest amount of tension possible. That means not too long or not too short and definitely not twisted because too much tension can make the tubing loosen the barbs. Avoid any tight bends. After you checked everything run just the pump for a while and check for leaks. Bubbles will drain into the res while you run it so you need to fill up the res from time to time.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 25, 2010 3:05:31 PM

matvey said:
please tall me if this setup is good or not? Feser XChanger Triple with this fittings http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6953/ex-tub-172/Bitsp...
Swiftech MCP655, Swiftech Apogee XT, Swiftech MCRES Micro Rev. 2 Reservoir Tubing 7/16"ID 5/8" http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8278/ex-tub-435/Primo...

In a week or so I'll help you. Once you spend that time, at least a few hours a day reading. Don't just look at sites that sell stuff. Join other forums, read all the stickies at the top, digging deep.

Hate to see you buy the wrong rad, block, pump, wrong liquid and have a leak that ruins the PSU mobo, and GPU card.

Actually, your parts list is looking pretty good.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2010 4:11:46 PM

^ yup. The parts are not the problem, it's SETTING up the loop that is a problem for most people.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2010 8:48:06 PM

That is pretty much it. Quite simple as you can see.
m
l
March 25, 2010 8:53:06 PM

if i do not have the external PSU, how i cen do the leak testing?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2010 9:01:34 PM

Neither do I. The first time I did it, I took my motherboard out of my case. Second time I borrowed another computer in the house.

I filled my system many times now. I just do it with all my components inside. I unplug everything except the motherboard. I use non conductive fluid so it wouldn't be that bad if a leak did occur which happened once when I bought a faulty reservoir.

That time was horrible because I used colored liquid and to this day I find coloring residue in my case. Never using colored fluids again.
m
l
March 25, 2010 9:10:26 PM

i have extra motherboard and PSU i am going to use them
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2010 9:37:41 PM

^ You can use your normal PSU. Just short the green to black on the 24 pin connector.
m
l
March 25, 2010 10:00:35 PM

waht is gonna give me if i short it?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 25, 2010 11:25:04 PM

^?????? Please type in an understandable way.
m
l
March 25, 2010 11:38:17 PM

sorry man. i live in US only 4 years. why i need to short green and black wire?
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
March 26, 2010 12:41:45 AM

Quote:
sorry man. i live in US only 4 years. why i need to short green and black wire?

No problem.

To start your PSU with out a motherboard, you will need to short the green to black.
http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guides/atx_psu_mods/inde...

This lets you test the loop with out powering up the board and if there is a leak, it's less likely to kill everything. MAKE SURE the PSU will not be in the way in case of a leak.
March 26, 2010 12:49:46 AM

THANK YOU! it is very cool! i really appreciate what you are doing.
m
l
March 26, 2010 1:45:51 AM

can i install Feser XChanger Triple up side down (vertical, fittings down) ? will it decrees the performance?
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 26, 2010 2:20:21 AM

It will be hard to bleed the air out, you might need to run the PC on it's side for a day, and still will take a LONGGG time. Do you have to mount it that way? The Feser has a bled hole on top? If so, running the loop and opening it a bit, just a bit will help.

You need to get rid of the air in the rad like that in the upside down way, and it will be a week or so.

Having 1/4 of the rad full of air means 1/4 less performance.
m
l
March 26, 2010 3:04:51 AM

i want to mount the radiator at the front of my case (inside, vertical) so the fittings on the radiator will be almost at the highest spot of my case, but as i have read at the highest spot has to be a reservoir. ???
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 26, 2010 3:35:02 AM

No, it doesn't.

Place it where you want.

Before the pump is the golden rule, higher than the pump.

Maybe looking at a few forums and the hundreds of build logs and pics would open your mind. Other forums? Yes, some even have real watercoolers. In the sticky at the top.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 28, 2010 4:55:20 AM

You can run a radiator upside down (barbs facing down) no problem. Bleeding won't take longer than usual.

I have a Xchanger and a swiftech before that. Both run upside down and most of the air bleeds out within a hour.
Maybe if you have a weak pump or not enough pressure drop but with a MCP 655 and a single CPU block, air would not get stuck anywhere except the res.
m
l
April 11, 2010 4:04:57 PM

guys THANKS TO ALL OF YOU. i build my cooling system and i am happy with it.
m
l
April 11, 2010 4:11:32 PM

Best answer selected by matvey.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2010 4:27:29 PM

Good to know it's up and running. What temps and pics?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2010 4:58:19 PM

Well done. Also, use Small FFT not Large FFT.
m
l
!