Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3r not loding windows vista.!!

dominiccoombe

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Hi all,

this may seem like many of the others who have posted here but I have tried almost everything.

Basically the short version is that I am trying to load vista home premium 64 bit onto a new machine using the above mention board, I was able to get win XP installed but neither my vista 32 or vista 64

the constant error message I am getting is:

When I start the vista installation is says:
'A required device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.
Note: If the Windows installation media is in the CD?DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this step.'

I press 'OK' and it says:
'No device drivers were found. Make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK'

I press 'OK' and then browse my USB stick for the drivers. (I have downloaded many drivers relating to IDE/SATA devices). I have about 10 folders on my USB stick with various drivers I have downloaded from the net.

For most of the folders, i open the folder and the 'Select driver to install' box is blank and I have to unick the box 'Hide drivers that are not compatible...' and I get loads of options but obviously these options are not compatible with the hardware on my computer( i have randomly tried about 10 of these options but they come up with the message 'No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media')

what do I odo now???

Other than the motherboard, what else is installed in your PC? Vista doesn't require drivers to install on SATA or IDE hard disks, even if you use AHCI or RAID. Did you connect all of your drives to the yellow SATA connectors?

Zenthar

Distinguished
+1
The purple ones is for the "2nd SATA controller" and so might require drivers, but you shouldn't be required to provide them at installation time.

dominiccoombe

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

I have:

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz LGA 775 95W Model BX80580Q8200 - Retail

HDD
WD Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

RAM
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit
Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail

VIDEO
XFX PVT42EUDE3 GeForce 6800XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI - Retail

OTHER
IDE DVD ROM

Thats it for devices

I have tried connecting the HDD to the yellow and the purple

Its driving me crazy

dominiccoombe

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

Not immediately but I will boot again and see what it says but i am sure it does not specify what it wants you only find out when you browse for the drivers.

While it might not cause that issue, is your RAM configured properly (voltage and timings)?

Can you install a different video card? Even an old PCI video card would be fine to ensure that the video card isn't the issue.

It could also be your IDE DVD-ROM that's causing the problem, but I have a few of those and it never caused problems when installing Vista. Can you try a different unit?

dominiccoombe

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

I dont know what ram settings I am meant to have.

Yes I have another video card

I can take the DVD drive out of my current machine

You bought overclocked RAM. By default it should run at 800 MHz and 1.8V, which should be fine. Once you have Vista installed, you could set it as per the specs.

Try with another video card and if that doesn't help, try with a different DVD drive.

dominiccoombe

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

Hi thanks for the advice on the ram.

I have success... Initially I tried the HDD and media as I said in my original machine, vista asked for the product key and began to install so I took your advice and changed the DVD drive. Immediately without changing any other settings it is sitting next to me installing.

So I assume from this lesson a too slow or OLD DVD drive can cause problems.

I am so happy and thank you.

As I write it has finished install and rebooted and now is asking to setup the name and picture.

Finally after a week or more trying to get this to work.

I guess I need to buy another DVD drive. Should I buy IDE or SATA DVD drive?

Thanks again