Sign in with
Your question

Problems with ati radeon hd 5870 after oc on newly built pc

Last response: in Overclocking
March 23, 2010 2:51:42 AM

I'm completely new tto trying to do this stuff so I apologize in advance if something sounds wrong. Here's what I'm doing...

I just bought a new pc which a local shop built and benchmarked it with 3dmark 06. It scored 10,393 and the graphics card seemed to test really low. I read all kinds of bench marks hitting 19k scores for the same card i have and mine tested much lower. So I figured I needed to oc it.
Here's the actual breakdown....
Score: 10, 393
SM 2.0: 7228
SM 3.0: 9826
CPU: 5132

I used the ATI overdrive to change the speed. The auto tune said it shoud run at 925MHz and memory clock at 1425 but when i did that, it failed miserably. I got it to be stable at 915/1270 but thats where the problems showed up. Anything above the stock settings causes a glitch where the screen jumps and shakes and shows a partial image of the window in the bottom 25% of the screen. Any help/suggestion you guys have is greatly appreciated.

The Setup -
Processor - Intel core i7 930 2.8 MHz (no OC I read the guides on here but my bios doesn't show the options listed so I gave that up for now)
Mobo - Asus P6TD Deluxe
Memory - 12 (6x2) Gb tri channel ddr3 @ 1600 Mhz
PSU - 850w active pfc
GPU - ATI Radeon HD 5870
HD - WD 150gb Velociraptor
HD 2 - Samsung 1Tb spinpoint
Monitors - 3x ASUS 26" 16:10 aspect ratio (Only 2 are on atm since we didn't realize I needed an active DP>DVI adapter)

Here's my setup according to cpu-z
Intel Core i7 930
Windows 7 (6.1) Home Premium Edition (Build 7600)
CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 4 Cores - 8 Threads
CPU PSN : Intel Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz
CPU EXT : MMX, SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S, 4.1, 4.2), EM64T, VT-x
CPUID : 6.A.5 / Extended : 6.1A
CPU Cache : L1 : 4 x 32 / 4 x 32 KB - L2 : 4 x 256 KB
CPU Cache : L3 : 8192 KB
Core : Bloomfield (45 nm) / Stepping : D0

Freq : 1603.69 MHz (133.64 * 12)
MB Brand : Asus
MB Model : P6TD DELUXE
NB : Intel X58 rev 13
SB : Intel 82801JR (ICH10R) rev 00

GPU1 Type : Radeon HD 5870
GPU1 Clocks : Core 157 MHz / RAM 300 MHz
GPU2 Type : ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
DirectX Version : 11.0

RAM : 12288 MB DDR3 Triple Channel
RAM Speed : 534.6 MHz (2:8) @ 8-8-8-20
Slot 1 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : STT
Slot 2 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : STT
Slot 3 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 3 Manufacturer : STT
Slot 4 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 4 Manufacturer : STT
Slot 5 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 5 Manufacturer : STT
Slot 6 : 2048MB (10700)
Slot 6 Manufacturer : STT
March 23, 2010 3:35:53 PM

Ok so i started reading this and was going into thinking you would have some terrible bottlenecking cpu or ram or anything. It seems that your pretty much up to speed on everything your running but the only thing that stuck out was that your using 3dmark 06. Now im just assuming here but are you compairing your scores to other 3dmark 06 scores or are they using different versions? You should try getting 3dmark 09 or you could throw out the virtual benchmarks and get into some real tests. Go by fps and just run crysis on a base settings and tweak to that but something i ran into with my gpu while overclocking was that my memory load controller was maxing out and i knew this because GPU-Z has a pretty nice sensor tab that is pretty accurate as far as i can tell. Sorry if this wasnt any help :-/ just my opinion on it all :hello: 
m
l
March 23, 2010 8:22:01 PM

thats good info actually. I used 3dmark 06 cause thats what the shop who built it put on here for me to test. I've since learned that they prolly don't know much lol...

GPU-Z is very nice I downloaded it and I'm working on learning what that all means.

I also ran the last remnants benchmark and it puts out 196 fps @ 1900 x 1200 resolution. (they also put that on here) I tried to play Dirt 2 while compiling videos in the adobe CS4 suite and started having issues gpu-z said the gpu was maxed at 100% so I thought OC would help that? I'm goin down to purchase a second 5870 right now. hopefully that solves the issue. I'm a multi tasking junkie not really a gamer. I use the 3 monitors to each run a different program. usually flash, photoshop and premiere or after effects/sound booth.

Thanks for your input!
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2010 8:34:52 PM

Whoa whoa who, you're not going to see any increase in adding a second 5870 if you don't do any gaming! All of the Adobe suite is written for processing only on one GPU, not two or more.
m
l
March 24, 2010 5:36:15 AM

Adobe CS5 is supposed to support it and that should be released in a month. Also, since I have the system, I might get into a game or 2.

Here's the result after today:
Motherboard was bad which explains the random missing RAM so that was replaced.
The 5870 was NOT an ATI 5870 it was a power color 5870 which I didn't know. That was also not working so it was replaced by 2 gigabyte 5870s everything seems to be working much better now. My 3rd monitor finally turns on and eyefinity is now working!

I also added a corsair H50 cpu water cooler to help the heat issues I was having. By tomorrow I should have another update after I push this tonight.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 24, 2010 10:19:56 AM

I had completely forgotten about CS5, I knew it was coming soon, but I didn't think THAT soon!

ATI no longer produces its own brand of actual graphics cards, but just the GPU and the PC board, and relies on the other manufacturers (Gigabyte, XFX, Asus, Sapphire, to name a few) to actually put together and sell.

Sweet that you got Eyefinity up and running! And the H50 is freakin awesome!

What are you going to do with your other 5870?
m
l
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
March 24, 2010 1:53:42 PM

Your 3d mark score seemed low because most of those benchmarks on hardware review sites are done with an overclocked CPU so overclocking your GPU isn't going to change that. Even so the score seems a little too low since I got 17k at stock speeds and 20k with my current CPU OC. Also, 5870 with the stock cooler don't overclock too well, but of course it all depends on your particular sample.

If you want to add a second 5870 I would suggest you have a quality PSU. Research the PSU that is in your system, and if you find it's not a quality unit replace it before adding the second card.
m
l
March 25, 2010 3:13:57 AM

OK here's the update, the H50 must've been installed incorrectly. I'm very irritated with those guys over there cause they can't seem to get things right. I'm on my old pc again cause it died last night. i didn't think to monitor it cause I was catching up on my backed up work load and it over heated. After i let it cool and rebooted, the cpu was at 50C at idle and 72-75C at load at stock speed 2.8mhz. That's hotter than it was air cooled?!?!?

Also, I think they were wrong about the mobo cause The RAM is still failing. They mentioned I might need a bigger PSU but I can't imagine 850w not being enough? I'll talk to them tomorrow about whats in there. I was also suspicious of the case, so they are changing it to a bigger case with more cooling. If I had any hair, I'd be pulling it out right about now. I'm just glad I kept my old machine work ready just in case!
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:07:08 PM

wow.

wow...
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
August 2, 2010 8:10:22 AM

read a review on that fellow purchasing a second radeon 5870 and do agree that it won't help noticeably for his applications, that is why i settle on a single 5870 as opposed to a crossfire config. or 3 sli nvidia config. this was done prior to ordering naturally with a little research (asking before hand).
cpu 960 i7 @ 3.2 ghz., 6 ghz. ram., (1) 5870 gpu card located in 1 of 3 sli slots, 850 w. ps. ( no 115/230v switch avail.) corsair say's "unit will automatically adjust to applied voltage" eg. europe. caps are 100% solid state. went with large combo fan/heatsink for cooling which is v/quiet. mobo is evga with more bells/whistles/lites as: debugger on mobo indicates cpu temp or code with led's if problem on boot. newbee here so evga manual, pictures of mobo with all components indicated for ease of wiring which aided in a better understanding of the elect. components/connections. EVGA mobo board mfg. supplies all wiring connections. unit has (6) fans total, being new i'm still amazed at the small fan housed above the chip set. also have installed to air filters (1) at the bottom front of the chasis & (1) at front bottom door just ahead of the large fan intake. one problem i will overcome is not having a hard drv indicator lite located on front of the cabinet ( there is a indicator located inside of the cabinet which can be seen if i bend down enough to view). mainly i would like to mention that any newbee can over clock easily by entering bios and selecting DUMMY OC, which on 3.2 ghz. increases to 3.7 ghz. for newbees mobo = motherboard & mem sticks = ram boards. do realize that more than one gpu would be great as a backup, but still to expensive to be installed an not really be needed (large investment). again, EVGA mobo allows for OC in bios easily and with a software program called EVGA ELEET tuning utility that allows viewing of voltages-freq's.-temps. when @ the desk top. forgot to add that win 7 is installed. another helpful hint that when turbo mode is selected in bios it will be disabled when OC is selected, meaning i go into bios eventually to re-select turbo mode. no problem except i was puzzled for awhile trying to figuire out what is causing what to happen. 69 yrs. and still with a desire to learn. will purchase a volt meter & LED lite for installation of a HD lite indicator. thank you very much tom's hardware personel, signed butch c.
m
l
!