AMD II X3 435 OC'ing

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Hi everyone, This is my first time trying to OC my AMD.
I already OC it to 3.2 GHz (FSB 220, HT and NB multiplier 10x, RAM FSB multiplier 1:2)
My system is:
AMD II X3 435 (4th core unlocked)
MSI 770T-C45
Adata 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz Games Edition

My question is:
Is it OK to run this Processor under-voltage? Since I want to keep my CPU as cool as possible using its stock HSF. Right now I set everything on its default voltage except the CPU. I set 1.372 (1.408 default) as the core voltage. I already tested it using Prime95 for 7 hours straight, and it seems that everything is fine. Is there any other softwares that I can use to check whether my system is stable?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Yep. 7 hours is considered stable and there is no drawback to the lower voltage. I would personally test for 12 hours just to be safe. If you want to use other programs aswell, try OCCT. I think I heard something about "intel burn in test" being good too.

Nonetheless, I think it's safe to say your system is stable. The Athlon II seems to be good with power. I have my quad core overclocked to 3.25GHz and at stock voltage.

Don't forget to test your ram stability too with memtest86 (you can download it online. Burn it to a disk and boot from it to test for 6-8 hours).

Some people might call me too thorough.
Yep. 7 hours is considered stable and there is no drawback to the lower voltage. I would personally test for 12 hours just to be safe. If you want to use other programs aswell, try OCCT. I think I heard something about "intel burn in test" being good too.

Nonetheless, I think it's safe to say your system is stable. The Athlon II seems to be good with power. I have my quad core overclocked to 3.25GHz and at stock voltage.

Don't forget to test your ram stability too with memtest86 (you can download it online. Burn it to a disk and boot from it to test for 6-8 hours).

Some people might call me too thorough.

Solution

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010

Thanks for your reply, I am running memtest86 on my computer now, will give update as soon as I finished the test.

hasappra

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
Hi, Enzo Matrix,
I have finished memtest86 for 5 and a half hours and no problem at all. Thanks for the suggestions, I think now I can assure myself that it is safe to lower the core voltage during the OC process.
Mine is now able to run 26-28C idle and max 51C (Prime95 load only) with ambient temp of 30C. With its stock HSF I think this is good already. Even with Intel Burn Test will only bring my temp to max 48C.
Before I lowered its core voltage, my temp was min 32C and Max 62C, so lowering the core voltage does indeed has a big impact on the core temp too.

TRENDING THREADS