Solved

AMD II X3 435 OC'ing

Hi everyone, This is my first time trying to OC my AMD.
I already OC it to 3.2 GHz (FSB 220, HT and NB multiplier 10x, RAM FSB multiplier 1:2)
My system is:
AMD II X3 435 (4th core unlocked)
MSI 770T-C45
Adata 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz Games Edition

My question is:
Is it OK to run this Processor under-voltage? Since I want to keep my CPU as cool as possible using its stock HSF. Right now I set everything on its default voltage except the CPU. I set 1.372 (1.408 default) as the core voltage. I already tested it using Prime95 for 7 hours straight, and it seems that everything is fine. Is there any other softwares that I can use to check whether my system is stable?

Thanks in advance.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about tomshardware
  1. Best answer
    Yep. 7 hours is considered stable and there is no drawback to the lower voltage. I would personally test for 12 hours just to be safe. If you want to use other programs aswell, try OCCT. I think I heard something about "intel burn in test" being good too.

Nonetheless, I think it's safe to say your system is stable. The Athlon II seems to be good with power. I have my quad core overclocked to 3.25GHz and at stock voltage.

Don't forget to test your ram stability too with memtest86 (you can download it online. Burn it to a disk and boot from it to test for 6-8 hours).

Some people might call me too thorough.
  2. enzo matrix said:
    Yep. 7 hours is considered stable and there is no drawback to the lower voltage. I would personally test for 12 hours just to be safe. If you want to use other programs aswell, try OCCT. I think I heard something about "intel burn in test" being good too.

Nonetheless, I think it's safe to say your system is stable. The Athlon II seems to be good with power. I have my quad core overclocked to 3.25GHz and at stock voltage.

Don't forget to test your ram stability too with memtest86 (you can download it online. Burn it to a disk and boot from it to test for 6-8 hours).

Some people might call me too thorough.

Thanks for your reply, I am running memtest86 on my computer now, will give update as soon as I finished the test.
  3. Hi, Enzo Matrix,
    I have finished memtest86 for 5 and a half hours and no problem at all. Thanks for the suggestions, I think now I can assure myself that it is safe to lower the core voltage during the OC process.
    Mine is now able to run 26-28C idle and max 51C (Prime95 load only) with ambient temp of 30C. With its stock HSF I think this is good already. Even with Intel Burn Test will only bring my temp to max 48C.
    Before I lowered its core voltage, my temp was min 32C and Max 62C, so lowering the core voltage does indeed has a big impact on the core temp too.
  4. That sounds good. You got lucky with being able to unlock that 4th core ;)
  5. yes, I am lucky hehehe, hope it can last for 4-5 years :-). Thanks for your help.
  6. Hi, I'm able to reduce it more to 1.312 Volt and now and pass the 12 hours Prime95 test. I'm pleased with it.
  7. Best answer selected by hasappra.
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD Overclocking