Asus M3A78-EM and Kingston Hyperx KHX8500D2/2G

0Lm91

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Hello, I bought a 1066 mhz memory, just one stick of 2gb and I cannot make windows XP boot up. I have not modified the bios, everything is set to "Auto" but windows will not boot. I can see in the screen some blue points that vary over time, from a few of them to a lot of them. I can enter to the bios, but when the boot up process reaches windows, the system will just freeze and show the points (at times some points can be seen even at the bios).

I could not install windows with this ram either, I had to use other pair of 533 mhz ram. Because whenever I tried to install windows the system will freeze at "Please wait". I know that this ram is meant to run at 1066 mhz and with a greater voltage, but i suppose that it should at least ran at slower speeds and lower voltage, or am I wrong?

PD: These points are not seen with the 533 mhz ram. And I have a AM2+ processor.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Set the voltage and timings in the BIOS for whatever speed the RAM is currently running according to the manufacturer specs. If it still doesn't work, then increase the voltage slightly.

0Lm91

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Thank you for the quick reply. I tried what you said, and it was indeed a progress, it does not display the blue points anymore. I just could put the mhz (533 in the bios, 533 X 2 = 1066) and the voltage (2.25v). I don't know how the timings function, could someone explain it to me, please? (I see a lot of things, TRAS, TRCD, etc... I know what CAS, TRCD, TRP, and TRAS are, but I dont know about the other ones.

PD: I know that my ram has 5-5-5-15 timing, and I put in the bios: cas = 5, trcd = 5, trp = 5, and tras = 15, but I didn't touch the other ones.