Will any of these actions make the flash drive not work with tv or

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Will any of these actions make the flash drive not work with tv or other electronic devices for recording or viewing ?

1 . Formatting it

2 . Formatting it using NTFS

3 . Formatting it with either FAT32/NTFS using any cluster size bigger than 4KB(The drive is mainly used for large files or videos so no wasted space)

Thanks in advance for any help

You mean formatting it with a larger cluster size? I suspect it depends on how smart the firmware in the device is. My proclivity would be to use the default cluster size because that's most likely what the broadest range of devices support.

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
Yes and also do I have to go with FAT16 or FAT32 ? If I knew my flash disk wouldn't be rendered useless I would trial and error with my electronic devices to see if it works or not . Is there special software preformatted with USB devices ? Mine is a 4GB Kingston DataTraveler

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

Ok so in my case I should use FAT32 .

I've been having the flash disk I mentioned above for over a year and it has worked so far

So that leaves only formatting it with FAT32 with a larger cluster size to see if it works with my electronics , If I know it wouldn't destroy the flash disk I certainly would like to try

Thanks so far for your help :)

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

Extra speed resulting from the bigger cluster size since it's mostly used for movies and files

The cluster size isn't going to make any difference to the speed. A larger cluster size would reduce the size of the file system structures needed to track the usage of space, but it'll be a pretty minor difference.

majidok

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

Thanks alot for all the help , you rock dude ;)