Tags:
  • Flash Media
  • TV
  • Formatting
  • Flash Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 26, 2010 8:04:47 PM

Will any of these actions make the flash drive not work with tv or other electronic devices for recording or viewing ?

1 . Formatting it

2 . Formatting it using NTFS

3 . Formatting it with either FAT32/NTFS using any cluster size bigger than 4KB(The drive is mainly used for large files or videos so no wasted space)

Thanks in advance for any help

More about : actions make flash drive work

a c 415 G Storage
April 26, 2010 11:12:21 PM

There aren't any consumer electronic devices I'm aware of that can deal with NTFS.
April 28, 2010 12:30:40 PM

Ok so off with the NTFS , but what about other options ?
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
April 28, 2010 6:03:04 PM

You mean formatting it with a larger cluster size? I suspect it depends on how smart the firmware in the device is. My proclivity would be to use the default cluster size because that's most likely what the broadest range of devices support.
April 29, 2010 11:28:38 AM

Yes and also do I have to go with FAT16 or FAT32 ? If I knew my flash disk wouldn't be rendered useless I would trial and error with my electronic devices to see if it works or not . Is there special software preformatted with USB devices ? Mine is a 4GB Kingston DataTraveler
a c 415 G Storage
April 29, 2010 10:03:34 PM

Use FAT16 for devices up to 2GB in size, FAT32 for larger devices.

Most USB drives are preformatted with FAT when you buy them, so the first thing to do is to just try it to see if it works.
April 30, 2010 11:31:37 AM

sminlal said:
Use FAT16 for devices up to 2GB in size, FAT32 for larger devices.

Most USB drives are preformatted with FAT when you buy them, so the first thing to do is to just try it to see if it works.

Ok so in my case I should use FAT32 .

I've been having the flash disk I mentioned above for over a year and it has worked so far

So that leaves only formatting it with FAT32 with a larger cluster size to see if it works with my electronics , If I know it wouldn't destroy the flash disk I certainly would like to try

Thanks so far for your help :) 
a c 415 G Storage
April 30, 2010 6:06:13 PM

If it's working fine, then why are you thinking of formatting it?
May 1, 2010 10:29:57 AM

sminlal said:
If it's working fine, then why are you thinking of formatting it?

Extra speed resulting from the bigger cluster size since it's mostly used for movies and files
a c 415 G Storage
May 1, 2010 7:21:24 PM

The cluster size isn't going to make any difference to the speed. A larger cluster size would reduce the size of the file system structures needed to track the usage of space, but it'll be a pretty minor difference.
May 3, 2010 10:51:59 AM

sminlal said:
The cluster size isn't going to make any difference to the speed. A larger cluster size would reduce the size of the file system structures needed to track the usage of space, but it'll be a pretty minor difference.

Thanks alot for all the help , you rock dude ;) 
!