The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Hello my mother turned off her PC earlier today and now it wont turn on and the little light on her motherboard wont turn on that signals that the PSU is on. I have checked the 24 pin connection by plugging it into my PC, the little light on my motherboard turns on. I then connected my PSUs 24 pin connector to her motherboard and the light stayed off.

Did the motherboard just randomly die, or is there another possibility? I'm going to bed soon and I'm not looking forward to dealing with this later so any help is greatly appreciated!

Specs:

Q6600
680i LT
2GB of Mushkin DDR2
GTX 280
Antec Trio 550w
Seagate 500GB HDD

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
only another PSU can tell. if it doesn't turn on then... then it probaly never will. better reservice those parts in a new machine in that case.

sailer

Splendid
The two possibilities are a bad PSU and a bad motherboard. Since you seem to have checked using a different PSU, it looks like the motherboard gave up the ghost. I am assuming that you also plugged in the 4 or 8 pin power connector as well. If not, be sure to do that before coming to a final conclusion. But yeah, chances are the motherboard randomly died.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
It could be any other component if the internal speaker is not connected.

I have had video cards or i/o cards cause this or even a usb broken front connector cause this ( the 5v rail is shorted out somewhere ).. or even one on the back..

check these first..

Psu one factor and also obviously the motherboard...

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Something could be holding the power on function ... Not all is black and white in computers..

Im not saying it is not the motherboard but im trying all avenues before he replaces it...

If he dont go for an Nvidia one he will have to do a complete reinstall !!!

The PSU has been tested elsewhere and is putting out +5VSB. Hellboy could well be right about a short somewhere. Reseat everything, especially any external connectors. Did your mom turn it off because she had spilled even a little bit of liquid on it? Where is the PSU plugged in? Is that outlet ok (i.e. did you do your testing from there, or did you carry the PSU into some other room when you tested on your PC?)

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Nope just going out the door to look for an HDTV. Guess I will have to reinstall everything in there to make absolute sure, it just seems odd that a motherboard would fail like that.