Sign in with
Your question

Function key in order to stop loading windows and get to dos prompt

Last response: in CPUs
February 13, 2009 3:50:38 AM

I have XPS (Dell) desktop which has a loop during logging in--I need to get to the dos prompt in order to get to REGEDIT in order change a registery line--unless someone has a better idea.
February 13, 2009 6:00:31 AM

Switch on your PC and continuously tap F8 every second until you get some windows startup options appear. Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

If you get a screen showing CD/DVD/HDD Drives, restart and try again but this time wait until just after all the initial start-up text disappears then hit the F8 key.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 13, 2009 8:58:16 AM

I think theoretically, you can't get to a DOS prompt before windows loads as it's a "true" OS (unlike 95 where you could boot to DOS before windows kicked in) to boot to a DOS like utility you will need to either install one or find a livecd style thing.
a c 122 à CPUs
February 13, 2009 9:00:33 AM

In XP or Vista? You can still create a boot disk for both but with Vista a boot disk/DOS prompt is pretty much useless. In XP its still pretty powerful.

Or while in Windows you can load cmd.exe which is pretty much the tiny bit of DOS that is left on Windows. Or try safemode.
February 13, 2009 12:27:14 PM

You may be better off "F8'ing" your way into safe mode and then doing msconfig rather than regedit, unless you are absolutely certain of what you want to edit. msconfig should allow you to selectively disable the problematic startup routine.
!