External HDD for two laptops. Which one?

Here's my set-up:

My wife and I each have a Toshiba laptop. I have a 1 TB WD external HDD connected to my computer.

I made the external HDD a shared drive so that my wife can access it through the wireless LAN.

Here's the problem: It's slow to load a 5 MB photo through a wireless network!

My proposed solution: Buy a new external HDD that has two USB outputs and connect both computers to it. Use my current external HDD as a backup (that I would store remotely in case of a fire or something like that).

Is that a good solution? Or should I buy a hub and connect the HDD and both laptops to it?

And which external HDD should I buy? A lot sell for <$100, but I'm not sure which ones are reliable.

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about external laptops
  1. To my knowledge, I do not believe there are any external drives with 2 usb ports. I could be wrong though, so maybe someone else can chime in who knows of any. Never the less, the more practical solution would be to get a hub and just rig up a mini network of sorts. It would probably be cheaper.

On a side note, what sort of wireless router do you have, i.e. N, G, or B standard? You can increase the access speed of the external drive by getting an N router. For example, I have an N router located at the other end of my house and I can still play music and such flawlessly to my laptop from my desktop.
  2. Quote:
    To my knowledge, I do not believe there are any external drives with 2 usb ports. I could be wrong though, so maybe someone else can chime in who knows of any. Never the less, the more practical solution would be to get a hub and just rig up a mini network of sorts. It would probably be cheaper.

Great, sounds like good advice. What kind of hub would you recommend? And I think I should buy another external HDD to serve as a backup (that I would keep in a remote location). Any recommendation for that? I think my main requirement is that it's 1TB and lasts a long time without crashing. :)

Quote:
    On a side note, what sort of wireless router do you have, i.e. N, G, or B standard? You can increase the access speed of the external drive by getting an N router. For example, I have an N router located at the other end of my house and I can still play music and such flawlessly to my laptop from my desktop.

I have a mi424wr from Verizon. Not sure if that's N, G, or B.

If I did have a faster router, how fast could the data transfer be?

Thanks for the reply!
  3. The most affordable and decent hubs that I have used have been by Belkin- you can find them almost anywhere. As far as another external hard drive is concerned, I've had a Seagate FreeAgent drive for a few years now (1TB) and haven't had an issue with it. Some may disagree, but I've found it reliable. In regard to the wireless standard, I believe that wireless N routers have speeds in the range of 150Mbps to 300Mbps (depending on the brand and how much you spend, i.e. some are meant for gaming, etc...).
  4. Great. Thanks again for your help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Laptops External Hard Drive Storage