Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Quick help i have a leak!!#$%

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
March 23, 2010 7:13:10 AM

i was playing a game and my temps jsut shot threw the roof then i checked to see what the f$%^ :fou:  was going res and pump and rad and 2 of the fitting and the tubing connecting the *** just started leaking
please help i need a quick fix now. im still new to this stuff so please some on help me out :pfff: 

More about : quick leak

March 23, 2010 7:21:48 AM

blaze15301 said:
i was playing a game and my temps jsut shot threw the roof then i checked to see what the f$%^ :fou:  was going res and pump and rad and 2 of the fitting and the tubing connecting the *** just started leaking
please help i need a quick fix now. im still new to this stuff so please some on help me out :pfff: 


Not sure what to say, but my advice would be clean up mess and make sure you don't short out any of the connection on the motherboard. A good way to clean off the hardware that got leaked on would be using baby oil cause its non-conductive. Once clean just remove the radiator kit and set up and start running stock fans in your PC.

To fix it:

Just go to: newegg.com

Sorry if I didn't really help much I have only ran one of my machines in liquid cooling.
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 7:26:09 AM

well thank you for your fast reply but i want to know why the *** it all just started leaking like that the only thing i can compare it to is a water main breaking i didn't buy anything to cheap every forum i was on people swore by all the stuff i got. sorry for the language but i was just :fou:  starting to enjoy it then this ******* mess happens arghaihdsjhadlkghldfkgh
m
0
l
Related resources
March 23, 2010 7:35:59 AM

blaze15301 said:
well thank you for your fast reply but i want to know why the *** it all just started leaking like that the only thing i can compare it to is a water main breaking i didn't buy anything to cheap every forum i was on people swore by all the stuff i got. sorry for the language but i was just :fou:  starting to enjoy it then this ******* mess happens arghaihdsjhadlkghldfkgh


Yeah I will never take the risk agian. I have a liquid cooling system but the radiator started leaking from the seal and all over my desk with all my college papers. *Ugh* I still remember that day. I'm with high end copper pipes and heatsink and fans now.
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 8:02:10 AM

what do you mean high end cooper pipes. are you still running liquid?
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 8:24:17 AM

SHANEMARINES said:
Example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=P...

I mean I use copper for the fact heat transfer is a lot quick then standard heatsinks or piping on coolers.



lol oh i thought you meant you was using cooper pipes to liquid cool. lol. ive been down that route i may being going down it again unfortunately.
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 8:31:04 AM

blaze15301 said:
lol oh i thought you meant you was using cooper pipes to liquid cool. lol. ive been down that route i may being going down it again unfortunately.


I just did liquid cooling at one point cause it was a "The Thing"!

Now i jsut run standard cooling with copper heatsink, fans, but the one good thing I do is buy a fan controller it helps a ton!
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2010 1:54:18 PM

Perfect example as to why I won't every do liquid cooling. Besides, it's not like I'm trying to overclock my machine with insane settings anyways.

I sure hope you're able to get everything saved and back in working order, though. That really does suck.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2010 7:27:41 PM

I had a leak once. It was off my motherboard north bridge. Those gigabyte board with a built in waterblock have really really really lose barbs btw but now I know.

Anyway it was funny since I was playing a game. It wasn't leaking hard but dripping. I used non-conductive fluid so I was able to finish the game despite getting my video card wet all over.

Unfortunately the non-conductive fluid was UV blue, because of that I am never buying colored fluid ever again. You can't just absorb the liquid with a cloth because it leaves residue behind. I had to rinse my motherboard and videocard under a sink real good. Then let it sit for the entire day to ensure it was dry.

Now i just use distilled water. Same non-conductiveness but without any of the stupid coloring crap so I can just let water dry if any leaked or dripped when filling the loop.

Though a pain in the ass. I would recommend taking apart your loop. Rinsing all your parts if you used more than just water and dry with a cloth. Then leave to dry some more. Check all your barbs and check if they are tight.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2010 7:33:26 PM

Except in specialized environments, water cooling + electronics don't mix. The latest $3000 SBM PC was a rare example of a "worthwhile" w/c setup, but ordinarily it is not worth the risk.
The $750 SBM PC showed the immense value that can be achieved on a budget with even modest air cooling.
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 8:43:05 PM

Onus said:
Except in specialized environments, water cooling + electronics don't mix. The latest $3000 SBM PC was a rare example of a "worthwhile" w/c setup, but ordinarily it is not worth the risk.
The $750 SBM PC showed the immense value that can be achieved on a budget with even modest air cooling.


Thats funny jtt283... All of my systems (except my laptop) are liquid cooled, and have been so for the past 5 years. the only time i had problems with it was when I made a bonehead mistake and bought a Tt liquid cooling kit (my first kit ever). I have since studied and bought quality parts from Dangerden, Swiftech, and EK. and I have not had a problem with leaks or cracking. Even when my Tt kit leaked I was lucky since I had replaced the coolant with distilled water and water wetter, and had zero damage from the leak. That is due to the fact that distilled (aka de-ionized) water does not conduct electricity very well. It is the minerals in the water that conduct electricity.

My current system cost me about $1500 4 years ago plus the cost of the components for the liquid cooling and have since oc'ed it as far as it can go. Yet it is still stable and with temps at or below 30C it runs much cooler than my friends stock clocked systems running with high end air coolers.

As for the O.P.'s issue I recommend 99% pure isopropyl alcohol and some lint free cloths to clean the boards and connectors. And never use mineral oil to clean boards as it leaves a residue that will allow dust (which is conductive) to stick to the boards.

-ouch1
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2010 9:08:47 PM

I don't recommend using alcohol because it doesn't clean very good. Things don't disolve in alcohol.

Clean with distilled water. Doesn't have to be high grade made for water cooling loops. I would get distilled bottle water. What you would drink. Leave a bottle aside for wiping my monitor down or cleaning my mobo. There might be slight impurities in it but not enough to damage anything. Especially if you dry things down.

Water cooling loops are pretty safe imo. As long you don't use tap water. Everything should be fine even if a leak does occur.
m
0
l
March 23, 2010 11:05:38 PM

well good to see everyone here is arguing, but i want to know why the *** this *** just randomly exploded. it's all cleaned up. but why did it do what it did
m
0
l
March 24, 2010 3:37:51 PM

Well I tired helping here, but I'm not the "Water Cooled PC Guy" so I'm outty everyone. I really hope the people at tomshardware did give you some kind of help to your problem with your leak on your radiator/seals/waterblocks ect. Thanks for your thread blaze15301.

I think it did started leaking cause anything with seals and well coolant will start leaking over time. Sorry I wasn't much help.
m
0
l
March 24, 2010 4:32:07 PM

Did it leak through a seal or did a top on a block crack? i recommend looking for those possibilities. also do not use alcohol on any acrylics as it make them brittle and very likely to crack when under pressure.

-ouch1
m
0
l
March 24, 2010 7:11:31 PM

ouch1 said:
Did it leak through a seal or did a top on a block crack? i recommend looking for those possibilities. also do not use alcohol on any acrylics as it make them brittle and very likely to crack when under pressure.

-ouch1


the block is fine. the radiator has a hole in it. the pump is completely destroyed and the hose is gone. i am not sure how or why something like this would even happen but yeah its bad. the bards look liek they are fine but i cant really test them so yeah back to air i go i guess
m
0
l
March 24, 2010 8:42:10 PM

blaze15301 said:
the block is fine. the radiator has a hole in it. the pump is completely destroyed and the hose is gone. i am not sure how or why something like this would even happen but yeah its bad. the bards look liek they are fine but i cant really test them so yeah back to air i go i guess


DANG!!! That's just bad luck on your part! Sorry man.
m
0
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 24, 2010 10:00:58 PM

blaze15301 said:
the block is fine. the radiator has a hole in it. the pump is completely destroyed and the hose is gone. i am not sure how or why something like this would even happen but yeah its bad. the bards look liek they are fine but i cant really test them so yeah back to air i go i guess



A hole in the radiator? Explain. Does it happen to be right next to a fan mounting screw? How long did you leak test?

What radiator?
m
0
l
March 24, 2010 11:40:02 PM

Conumdrum said:
A hole in the radiator? Explain. Does it happen to be right next to a fan mounting screw? How long did you leak test?

What radiator?


lol nope already checked there. I leaked tested for 2 days straight, and everything was fine no leaks at all. its been on i dont know maybe a month now. i have the swift tech 3 x120 rad the normal one. all was great i checked it daily so i would have known if there was something wrong.
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 2:44:21 AM

Conumdrum said:
A hole in the radiator? Explain. Does it happen to be right next to a fan mounting screw? How long did you leak test?

What radiator?


I seen you on another forum can't remember the name, I think you did a great job on that watercooled rig!

+1 for you man!
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 4:04:15 AM

SHANEMARINES said:
I seen you on another forum can't remember the name, I think you did a great job on that watercooled rig!

+1 for you man!



yeah hes the best . he is actually the one who got me involved in water cooling. im hoping you know he can help me.
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 2:38:56 PM

blaze15301 said:
yeah hes the best . he is actually the one who got me involved in water cooling. im hoping you know he can help me.


Sweet! Yeah I'm not the best help on this thread sorry.
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 3:39:08 PM

blaze15301 said:
lol nope already checked there. I leaked tested for 2 days straight, and everything was fine no leaks at all. its been on i dont know maybe a month now. i have the swift tech 3 x120 rad the normal one. all was great i checked it daily so i would have known if there was something wrong.



Sounds like Galvanic corrosion. What were you running in your loop?

-ouch1
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 4:57:42 PM

ouch1 said:
Sounds like Galvanic corrosion. What were you running in your loop?

-ouch1



i was running distilled water and a silver kill coil, like i was told nothing else. i cleaned everything out like i was told.
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 5:50:39 PM

What I meant is was there any aluminum in the loop at all? Even if it was powder coated, plated, or anodized.

-ouch1
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 6:16:15 PM

nope there was not
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 7:05:48 PM

Wierd... It might have just been a weak spot in the rad then. That is very rare but it does happen.

Oh well it sounds like its time to buy a nice new rad, a good pump, and tubing. Hopefully nothing else was fried.
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 7:55:04 PM

i had good tubing. i had primochill stuff. i had danger den fat boys to. but oh well im gonna see what conundrum says about it all before i go spending money
m
0
l
March 25, 2010 9:23:17 PM

Did you have any hose clamps on the tubing? I know that sounds dumb to ask but you never know. If not that might have been the cause. Because pressure in the tubing can cause the tubing to expand and leak where it connects to nozzles. I prefer to use worm style hose clamps that are sold in auto parts stores.
m
0
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 26, 2010 2:35:16 AM

ouch1 said:
Sounds like Galvanic corrosion. What were you running in your loop?

-ouch1



That takes weeks at a minimum to surface. Loop has been active for a month.

Fail ouch1.
m
0
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 26, 2010 2:40:12 AM

blaze15301 said:
i had good tubing. i had primochill stuff. i had danger den fat boys to. but oh well im gonna see what conundrum says about it all before i go spending money



Hard to believe with a solid leak test before activating the computer you had such a massive leak.

No idea where the leak came from but the rad? If the loop was running solid and a while (3-24 hours) a month later the loop was dry, pump smoked etc, I just have to wonder.

I just can't figure out why the loop would leak from the rad.

You want answers? Post pics of the rad and where it leaks. I just dunno. I smell a fish.
m
0
l
March 26, 2010 3:36:04 AM

Conumdrum said:
Hard to believe with a solid leak test before activating the computer you had such a massive leak.

No idea where the leak came from but the rad? If the loop was running solid and a while (3-24 hours) a month later the loop was dry, pump smoked etc, I just have to wonder.

I just can't figure out why the loop would leak from the rad.

You want answers? Post pics of the rad and where it leaks. I just dunno. I smell a fish.



the whole thing kinda just started leaking. then i looked at it and the rad had a hole in it, the pump died because of the hole. and the tubing i still have no idea what happen there. i wish i could post pics but no camera. i don't want to take you're fish comment the wrong way but are you calling me a lier.
m
0
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 26, 2010 3:38:56 AM

Well I just never heard of a rad just leaking after a long proper leak test.

Not saying it can't happen.

Like to see the rad pics. Nothing says proof like pics.

So whatever, you spent $100s on watercooling and failed.

Another Toms result.

m
0
l
March 26, 2010 3:43:44 AM

Conumdrum said:
Well I just never heard of a rad just leaking after a long proper leak test.

Not saying it can't happen.

Like to see the rad pics. Nothing says proof like pics.

So whatever, you spent $100s on watercooling and failed.

Another Toms result.



i wish i could give you pictures. im not lieing i have a pretty good idea what happen tho. but yeah you know thanks for all your help man. your the best.
m
0
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 26, 2010 3:54:21 AM

blaze15301 said:
i have a pretty good idea what happen tho.



Pretty good idea? A theory? Thought you said the rad had a leak? Solid proof.

Clamps? Yes/No.

Okay..........

Best of luck.
m
0
l
March 26, 2010 8:10:32 AM

Conumdrum said:
Pretty good idea? A theory? Thought you said the rad had a leak? Solid proof.

Clamps? Yes/No.

Okay..........

Best of luck.



no i said the rad had a hole a and now i know what happen my brother thought it would be funny to play with a knife around my stuff so he paying for it but yes i use clamps
m
0
l
March 26, 2010 2:58:55 PM

Conumdrum said:
That takes weeks at a minimum to surface. Loop has been active for a month.

Fail ouch1.


Actually it depends on how thin the metal is and what liquid was used. i have seen galvanic corrosion happen witihin days. but that idiot was using very nasty tap water.
m
0
l
March 26, 2010 7:49:26 PM

I really need to sudy up on water cooling so I could be more helping right now.
m
0
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
March 27, 2010 1:59:00 AM

SHANEMARINES said:
I really need to sudy up on water cooling so I could be more helping right now.



Once you watercool and rebuild a few times then your ready to add to the help file.

Please don't chime in with something you read, saw posted etc untill your an active member of 3-4 forums you visit daily for months and actually spend real $$ on watercooling. I must of spent $2000+ so far.

My PC. Once your are at this level, then your input will be respected. Not dissing you, but I see SOOOOOOO much crap info from someone who doesn't know squat. We spend months fixing that one post info from peeps with no clue see that and run with it. Kinda a Toms problem. You really want to learn? Join some of the forums in my link at the top of this subforum.

http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleani...
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
March 27, 2010 2:31:54 AM

blaze15301 said:
well good to see everyone here is arguing, but i want to know why the *** this *** just randomly exploded. it's all cleaned up. but why did it do what it did


:
m
0
l
March 27, 2010 5:27:46 AM

Conumdrum said:
Once you watercool and rebuild a few times then your ready to add to the help file.

Please don't chime in with something you read, saw posted etc untill your an active member of 3-4 forums you visit daily for months and actually spend real $$ on watercooling. I must of spent $2000+ so far.

My PC. Once your are at this level, then your input will be respected. Not dissing you, but I see SOOOOOOO much crap info from someone who doesn't know squat. We spend months fixing that one post info from peeps with no clue see that and run with it. Kinda a Toms problem. You really want to learn? Join some of the forums in my link at the top of this subforum.

http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleani...


I'm a veteran on hardware just not water cooling I mean I know a lot about cars and if you know anything at all about a car radiator then you can use that as a back up to figure out how to use the water cooling system in a computer. I know what your saying though.

I've spent about 3500 on my alienware and about 2250 on my current custom built. Total = $5750.00 US.

Alienware = Big waste of money and that was one of my one and only water cooled rigs.

*Update* I would like water cooling in the future just not looking at it right now.

Disclaimer: Don't take anything I say to heart cause it might hurt your feelings.

Thanks though Conumdrum for the reply and the link, I know your respected on this site/forum.

m
0
l
!