Sign in with
Your question

Changing cpu clock multiplier

Last response: in Overclocking
March 23, 2010 8:27:59 AM

Hello, I recently upgraded my system with a Intel Pentium E5300 Wolfdale 2.6GHz, Sapphire Radeon 4850 512MB, G41M-ES2L, and 600 watt OCZ. When it was installed, I noticed it said my processor speed was 1.6 mhz, and when I played wow I noticed I had much lower frame rates. I installed CPU-Z, and the core speed was 1600mhz and the cpu multiplier was 8. I have a bus speed of 200 mhz and a rated bus speed of 800 mhz. Well, I changed the clock multiplier in my bios from 8 to 13, and now I am running at the full 2600 mhz. Why was my clock multiplier set so low initially? And is what I did to my computer safe? I am running at full speed now and my frame rates on wow have greatly increased.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 23, 2010 3:57:34 PM

that is fine, motherboards can tend to act weird when changing out different CPU's, the 13x multi is the stock and the 8x multi is the lowest multi it can reach, motherboard might have gotten confused during the change. Also, it could be speedstep, which is a tool that automatically lowars the multi when the CPU is not being worked.
m
l
!