12v and 5 v way too high help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdiscool

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Hello i am running a decent rig, and my power supply is much higher rated for watt then is required i always do that just to be safe. I had everything ok, then few months later i swapped everything out just the way it is for new case. Now it says 12V and 5V too high. LOL it says the numbers are ,12V = 16 and 5V= 6 something. I have been running the pc like this for months just ignoring it. Im guessing that those numbers have to be wrong because there would be no way for the pc to run at that high voltage or am i wrong? Any hints as to why it is like that please help!

Thanks
Jesse

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
what are you using to measure the voltage?

the power supply and motherboard have voltage regulators, and shouldn't be running out of spec. those numbers are way out of spec, so you need to be sure that they're accurate

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
If You are looking voltages in bios then they are probably correct. If software then try different software or checkh in bios. Or best use multimeter to test it on wires coming from psu. I wouldn't be comfortable with 12V being over 14V when tested with multimeter.

pdiscool

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Yes those raedigs are in bios. Do you guys know of any free software that i can get readings from? And also what would make the volt's out of wack so much, i mean its weird they were fine and after i swapped out for a new case it got like that.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

Software readings are not reliable. You need to use a digital multimeter. Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.