Sign in with
Your question

I'm stumped and need help...

Last response: in Motherboards
March 21, 2009 9:34:59 PM

Just finished my second build. First one was 5 years ago. I'm using the Asus P5Q pro mobo. Looks like I have all the hardware hooked up correctly. Starts just fine but right after the Asus screen the next screen I see is the bios version and hdd recognition ( I guess) and then I get the message to reboot and select proper boot device. I can't get to the bios to select the boot order to install my system. If I restart holding the del key to get to setup, the same thing happens. I can see and change the boot order if I start and hold F8, but it sees my DVD drive as a CD Rom drive. My OS is on a DVD. I'm completely confused. Thanks in advance for the help.

More about : stumped

March 21, 2009 10:22:49 PM

Ok, I have mad a little progress. I was able to clear the cmos and access the bios. I set it to boot from the dvd drive first to install the OS, but when I restart with the Vista install disk in the drive I still get the message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot drive". Hmmm..and I have to clear the cmos every time I want to access t he bios setup.
March 21, 2009 10:57:35 PM

just repeatedly hit the del key at the asus splash screen to get into the bios. Once you change the 1st boot device to the dvd it stays until you go back into the bios and change it back to the hard drive.
Related resources
March 21, 2009 11:32:32 PM

I've already done that. It recognizes the drive but will not boot from it. My hard drive is listed in the bios but I still keep getting the message "no hard drive detected!" when I start. I have a feeling I made the wrong choice buying the Asus.
March 21, 2009 11:39:00 PM

Are you sure the DVD you are using is good/bootable. If the dvd is not bootable then you wont see the option "Press any key to boot from dvd" and it will skip straight to the next boot device which is the hard drive. Since the hard drive has no OS you then get the message reboot and select proper device.
March 21, 2009 11:39:25 PM

Could be a bad board but more likely it is a configuration issue. List your full configuration including master/slave jumper positions if you are using PATA opticals, etc. Be sure to include which ports you have drives connected to.
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2009 12:21:16 AM

Is your hdd sata? The message "no hard drive detected!" is probably from the marvell IDE controller. When you boot with vista cd press f8 during post and select drive to boot from(dvd)
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2009 12:34:01 AM

Lolz, somehow missed that f8 in your post. Anyway, when in f8 boot menu and you select the cdrom what happens next? my dvd is listed as cdrom too. And generally there is a problem with booting from IDE on p5q boards(you cant boot from ide hdd at all from what im aware).
March 22, 2009 1:39:48 AM

Well...both the 320 gb seagate sata II hdd(jumper installed to limit to 1.5 Gbps..also tried it without jumper) and dvd drive are brand new sata drives and connected to sata connectors 1 and 2 on the board respectively. The red connectors. The OS disk is Vista home premium 64 bit. I bought everything from Newegg except the hard drive by the way.

The hdd shows in the bios but then says not detected during the post. The dvd drive shows in bios as a CD ROM and again as CD ROM but with the actual model number of the drive..also odd. I've set the dvd drive to boot first in bios and with F8 in post. A google search revealed that this is a rampant issue, but I have yet to see the solution posted somewhere. I also flashed the bios to the latest version. After I did that at least Express Gate didn't error when I started. The only time I see the hdd recognized is when I plug it into the orange sata connector, which is only for raid drives. Still I can't access the dvd drive to install the OS. I guess the DVD drive could be bad or not compatible with the board.

I haven't changed any bios settings except the boot order. I have to keep clearing the cmos to get to the bios setup. Very strange. Ok, I think I answered all the questions. Thanks for all the responses. Hope I can get this figured out.
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2009 2:03:39 AM

OK: Go to bios and disable Marvell IDE, because thats whats giving you this message "no hard drive detected!" which is kinda normal as theres no IDE devices connected to it.

When you disable it everything should be ok. Boot from cdrom via F8 and try installing vista
March 22, 2009 1:21:03 PM

MaDMagik said:
OK: Go to bios and disable Marvell IDE, because thats whats giving you this message "no hard drive detected!" which is kinda normal as theres no IDE devices connected to it.

When you disable it everything should be ok. Boot from cdrom via F8 and try installing vista

I tried that already but did it again just to be sure(after agin clearing the cmos which is the only way I can get to bios setup). The dvd drive spools up after choosing it in bios boot order and f8 at post, but after about 15 seconds i still get the message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert media in selected boot device and press a key" In bios storage configuration "SATA configuration" is set to "enhanced" and "Configure SATA" is set to "IDE, which makes no sense to me actually. Should the "configure SATA" be set to AHCI maybe? This is getting frustrating. I may have to wait tomorrow for Asus tech support to open and see if t hey can help or send this board back and swap it for a different brand.

Like I said, I see post after post all over the internet on this exact same P5Q Pro issue word for word, but the post either dies out or the poster comes back with a simple "I got it working" without any comment on how!!!
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2009 7:03:58 PM

rpemers said:
I tried that already but did it again just to be sure(after agin clearing the cmos which is the only way I can get to bios setup).

Did it again? If you have no ide devices than keep it disabled all the time. I couldnt install my xp32 with it enabled. But generally the whole situation with not being able to get to bios sounds weird, so: go to bare minimum(only cpu, one stick ram, gfx, NO DRIVES), restart few times and see if the problem(with going into bios) persists. If not than add the dvd drive and try restart and go into bios again. If ok than try booting something from that drive.

But if you still cannot freely get into bios with minimum setup then maybe i would suspect the board

Did you try booting anything else than that vista64? Theres always a chance that theres something wrong with the disc itself.

The reason why people dont say how they fixed it is because most of the time the problem was caused by something trivial that they overlooked, like not fully plugged/damaged sata/power cable, disc upside down(yes!) or whatever, and just refuse to admit it. Also many times they register on forums just to get this one problem solved, once its done they have no intention of coming back to share this possibly valuable information with others.

Ive reccomended this board to several friends, 3 of those setups i put together myself and never experienced any problems at all(ok, one board arrived dead but the replacement works a treat).

BTW. What is you ram and PSU(make,model)?
March 23, 2009 1:19:20 PM

Ram is G. Skill DDR-2-1066 8500 (2x2048) and psu is an Antec Earthwatts 500w.

I called Asus this morning and they said it's most likely that the voltage on the memory is not correct and to call G. Skill for the correct settings for the P5Q. Then start with the bare minimum as you suggested above and go from there to see if the bios issue continues. I'll call G.skill when they open. IN the mean time I'm searching this and other forums for the answer.
March 23, 2009 4:05:31 PM

Problem may be bad board. I spent about 15 minutes on the phone with Asus tech support and they said it sounds like a bad mobo. So, I just initiated an RMA with Newegg for the swap. Thanks to all who posted suggestions! I will follow up with the results from the replacement mobo.
a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2009 7:31:16 PM

Yeah, the thing with 1066 modules is that you have to set voltage, timings and speed manually, so keep that in mind when new board arrives(you have this info printed on the modules, you dont need to call g.skill). But anyway, good luck and let know how it went.

And pray its not the dvd drive thats screwed ;]
March 24, 2009 5:18:59 PM

rpemers said:
I tried that already but did it again just to be sure(after agin clearing the cmos which is the only way I can get to bios setup). The dvd drive spools up after choosing it in bios boot order and f8 at post, but after about 15 seconds i still get the message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert media in selected boot device and press a key" In bios storage configuration "SATA configuration" is set to "enhanced" and "Configure SATA" is set to "IDE, which makes no sense to me actually. Should the "configure SATA" be set to AHCI maybe? This is getting frustrating. I may have to wait tomorrow for Asus tech support to open and see if t hey can help or send this board back and swap it for a different brand.

Like I said, I see post after post all over the internet on this exact same P5Q Pro issue word for word, but the post either dies out or the poster comes back with a simple "I got it working" without any comment on how!!!

In the bios storage configuration, set the SATA configuration to "compatible" and reboot.
March 24, 2009 7:00:13 PM

To MrMooMoo and MaDMagik...I did manually set the speed and voltage and another DVD rom that I know is good. The Asus board detected the correct timings so this sisn;t need to be set mauyally. Also set SATA config to "compatible". Everything yielded the same result.
March 24, 2009 8:35:55 PM

One thing you mentioned, you bought Vista from Newegg. Was it the $149 OEM version? I was thinking of getting it from them, but some of the reviewers there were having problems with the Vista disk, and wouldn't reccomend it. Could be it.
April 4, 2009 7:32:08 PM

Well...I just installed the replacement mobo and it is doing the EXACT same thing as before. On initialization I keep seeing the message "no hard disk detected" although it is recognized in the bios. After setting the bios and restarting, selecting the boot drive, it is doing exactly what it did with the first mobo. It accesses the drive (and I've swapped the drive out for several others that I know are good)for several seconds and then displays the message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". This should be so simple and it isn't. I flashed the bios to the latest version, checked and rechecked cables and connections and started out with one stick of memory, which is recognized and proper timings are auto detected. I set the dram freq and voltage to what the manufacturer indicates and still no go. Here is my set up.

Asus P5Q Pro
2 x 2gb G. Skill DDR2-1066 PC2-8500
Intel e8400 cpu
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 vid
Antec Earthwatts 500 watt psu
Lite Scribe dvd-rw

I guess if I don't get this figured out I'm sending all the components (minus the case) back to Newegg. I don;t have spare video cards and memory to swap out to see what piece is bad and the RMA shipping is on my nickel. Anyway, if anyone has any other ideas what my issue may be, please let me know.

Thanks!!
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2009 7:47:24 PM

Sorry to hear that but i kinda expected it to happen. So one last time now: DID YOU try to boot anything else, any other BOOTABLE disc apart from that Vista?
April 4, 2009 8:18:35 PM

MaDMagik said:
Sorry to hear that but i kinda expected it to happen. So one last time now: DID YOU try to boot anything else, any other BOOTABLE disc apart from that Vista?

The only other disk I have is an XP OS reinstall disk that came with a Dell pc. It's not a software disk...only the OS reinstall, but it won't boot from that either.
April 5, 2009 4:28:55 PM

The system I have is Win Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I took the disk to the local computer store, they put it in one of their machines and the disk is good. Today I am going to take it all apart and start over. If I get the same results I'm going with another board manufacturer. The more I read about Asus board issues, especially the P5Q Pro, the more I realize I didn't do enough research on this board. A couple of the guys at the computer store I went to yesterday said the same thing about Asus boards. They have people in all the time who say they gave up after three or four trys with Asus.
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2009 9:56:09 PM

Look man, theres countless things you can download try to boot other than that vista, download 32bit Ubuntu live cd. Burn it onto cd and try to boot from it, if it works it has built-in memory test, run it. If it doesnt, take it to a working computer, boot it,once it loads in the options you will find Make Live USB Stick or something like that. Requires 1gb usb stick, but its very useful - you can boot it as live-cd and install OS from it. If you manage to boot ubuntu from usb but not cd than maybe really theres something wrong with the onboard controller, or i dont know. I have p5q-pro myself, built several systems on it and they all work flawlessly, thats why i find it hard to believe that the situation is caused by some flaw specific to p5q-pro. As for "the guys from the store said and the whole anti-asus bandwagon": look in the gigabyte section of the forum, look at msi, foxconn, whichever. They all have problems of all sorts. Theyre very complex pieces of engineering and in a situation where its impossible to test every single one, there will always be issues with some of them. I guess ive been somehow lucky, and Ive never used any other board than asus in past 10 or so years,but its understandable for me that youre getting frustrated. Try that USB booting as a last thing, if you manage to load ubuntu you will see if the drive works inside the OS. BTW: do you still have to reset cmos to get into bios?
April 6, 2009 5:06:12 PM

I'm with Mad on this one, I just completed a new build with a P5Q / Q9300, and it also runs flawlessly. I was using my old Asus P4T build from eight years ago right up until a few weeks ago. It never gave me a problem.
!